New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Nottinghams in cider 30 hours no airlock activity?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
michgan241
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkblue View Post
at 30 hours it isn't "done"...relax you are probably fine. Cider seems to roll into fermentation slowly...the krausen never seems to form all that thick for me.

At 30 hours I would simply double check your seals. Make sure your bucket lid is firmly in place. Double check the airlock....and look at the rubber grommet in the hole...if the airlock is pushed in too far....the rubber can separate and allow an easier path for pressure to escape.

Just yesterday I went through the same process. I pitched a large Pacman starter on a mid gravity wort....after 30 hours there was no visible airlock activity. The lid was firmly sealed...but the airlock was pushed in too far....causing a small gap in the rubber grommet. I pulled the airlock out a touch...and the airlock started bubbling like a jackhammer.
hmm, the lady at the LHBS gave me a rubber stopper for the bucket lid that i thought was too big, i wonder if its too big and not letting the airlock do its thing. I might play around with it tonight and see if i can get it bubbling and worst case scenario i have another lid from northern brewer i can swap out that i know works.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply