Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is Nottingham yeast this slow?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Memnoch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
I'm having the same problem with Notty right now. This is the second time I've used it, the first time was a few months back and I think it started in 18-24 hours.

I've done two batches in the past two days, the first one has been about 28 hours since I pitched and still no activity whatsoever. I just pitched into another batch just now, hoping that they will start working.

Remind me to use US-05 next time, really no reason to use notty if it is going to be slow starting like this imho.
This was the longest it ever took for fermentation to start for me at least, Brewed on Friday, fermentation didn't start until Monday evening, so right around the 72 hour range. I must add though it was quite an aggressive fermentation though, originally had a airlock on it but had to move to a blowoff Tuesday morning.

Primary 1: Indian Brown Ale
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Ruination-type IPA (Dry hopping in Secondary)
Primary 4: Empty

On Deck: Brown Ale Batch #4, Summer Wheat

Kegged: Don't own kegging equipment yet, check back closer to April, the SWMBO is getting me everything cept the kegerator!

Bottle Conditioning: Centennial Blonde, Oberon Clone

Currently Drinking: Pacific Porter, Stone IPA Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #22
Rover
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just curious if these slow to start Nottys have any off flavors. One of the posters mentioned his friends was off but was wondering if anyone else is having any off flavors with these slow starts.
Mine took 72 hours to get going

Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #23
a10t2
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is exactly my experience with Nottingham. 24 hour lag is probably about average, but once it starts fermentation is fast and very active. I don't think it's a problem, just the way it works. FWIW, if you re-pitch it the lag on subsequent batches is normal. Probably has something to do with the reserves they build up in the dry yeast - more reproduction means faster fermentation, but also a longer lag.

squeeze your sack like it owes you money.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #24
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have been using Nottingham for my last 4 batches. All started withing about 4-6 hours. However, I have a batch sitting right now that has not started at the 16 hour point. I plan to wait just a little longer and then repitch at the 24 hour point with SF-04. I thought this dry yeast was susposed to always be good but I guess not. BTW my Nottingham yeast was not part of the "bad lot"....

Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #25
Rover
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenChief View Post
I have been using Nottingham for my last 4 batches. All started withing about 4-6 hours. However, I have a batch sitting right now that has not started at the 16 hour point. I plan to wait just a little longer and then repitch at the 24 hour point with SF-04. I thought this dry yeast was susposed to always be good but I guess not. BTW my Nottingham yeast was not part of the "bad lot"....
I understand you wanting to repitch. If I had more yeast I would have too. Mine eventually started just before the 72 hour mark, so if you want to wait it will probably start. I just hope the slow start up doesn't come with any off flavors. This is the last time I'll be usng Notty

Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #26
JonClayton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am in the same boat.. I am at the 36 hour point with nothing but I am trying to be patient. Today is the only day I'll be able to make the brew store this week so I might go pick up some backup yeast just in case.

Its a linenkugels sunset wheat clone. Should I repitch with nottingham or should I try US05 or 04?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #27
Rover
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will never pitch Nottingham again!
I'm going to use US-05

Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #28
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Never say never.
Like I said before, I have used Nottingham yeast several times with good success. It is summer time, and there is no way to tell how much heat the yeast was exposed to in shipping. I guess this can happen with any brand yeast.
I generally have several types of yeast on hand, so repitching is not such a big deal for me. I will use Nottingham again just because I like the results when it works.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #29
JonClayton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am finally seeing some krausen form, it's been roughly 48 hours since pitching. fingers crossed

Old 08-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #30
Krelja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The 2 times that I recently used notty they were both slow to start and they fermented just under 70. Both of them had an off smell more than any off flavor but they go hand in hand. When I pulled a sample of the second notty beer before I even took a sip I said oh no there is that smell back to my notes and sure enough same smell as the other lagging notty batch. One was a 5 gallon extract beer and the next was a AG marris otter sorachi ace smash. I've made some good notty beers but that was a year ago and I won't be using it for a while until all this settles

Quick Reply