Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Nottingham Yeast recall

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #151
SteveM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I am looking forward to hearing from someone who pitches theirs. I hope that it comes out well. Credit to them for (finally) coming through with the replacements.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #152
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I got bold and pitched one pack of the notty that came in the mail; it was lot 1087117102 exp 6-2011. I pitched it in a no chill modified centennial blonde (from the recipe on this site) with an OG of 1.061. It took off within roughly 20 hours (I just dumped and stirred the dry yeast in) at an ambient of 65 to 68 degrees. After 4 days airlock activity has slowed. So it seems this satchet worked for me.

AND another thing....
I thought about writing a letter to Danstar to tell them that I'm pretty darn unhappy with their recall effort. What really ticks me off is that no where on the danstar/lallemand website is there a mention of the recall. I think that 'error of omission' is unethical. Based on the absolutetly dismal way that homebrewer's were informed of the problem (via a short message buried a hundred posts into a random thread) and the complete lack of communications from their web presence I honestly don't see myself choosing their products over the others that are commonly available.

This whole experience leaves me with a poor impression of the company. N_G

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #153
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So far as we know, just the one batch was affected, correct?

I have some of the 11g packets, as well as some 5g packets. The 11g ones with right (wrong???) lot code were sent back, but I'm not real comfortable pitching the 5g packets.

I used one of the 5g packets to make some ginger ale, and it took FOR EVER to carbonate, and the flavour wasn't what I normally expect. I shrugged it off, but I wonder.

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 11-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #154
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
So far as we know, just the one batch was affected, correct?

I have some of the 11g packets, as well as some 5g packets. The 11g ones with right (wrong???) lot code were sent back, but I'm not real comfortable pitching the 5g packets.

I used one of the 5g packets to make some ginger ale, and it took FOR EVER to carbonate, and the flavour wasn't what I normally expect. I shrugged it off, but I wonder.
If you read through ALL the posts in all the threads on this (which I do not advise - I think there were three, and I've read them all), you will see that they admitted to a problem with one batch, but you get a clear impression that the problem was much bigger than that.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #155
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, makes sense. I certainly didn't read all...most in this thread, but didn't look at the others. I hope they straighten things out, because I really like the yeast.

I think it's harder to catch with soda making if there's a problem. No lack of airlock activity or kreuzen to indicate a problem. Main indication would be squeezing the bottle to see if it's getting harder...pretty subjective!

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #156
LayMeister
Recipes 

I have had problems with a different batch. Contacted them a week ago, but no response.

Paul

Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #157
portlandbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got 7 packs in the mail in return for three, all in less than a month from sending them back!

I drink I have a thinking problem!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #158
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I just got four packs back for one that I sent in. I made a starter with it this saturday just to make sure it was viable, it took off lake crazy and is bubbling away in a brown ale at 62 degress like a champ.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #159
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed a variation of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale using the recalled yeast (pitched before I found out about the recall). It was a 13 gallon batch, so I pitched two of the recalled packages. Brewed the beer September 10 and active fermentation started within 36 hours. Seemed to ferment normally and finished at 1.013, which is very close to expected. Bottled on October 29. Opened a bottle at 3 weeks and it was under carbonated and still very green and turbid. Waited another week and opened another bottle and it was better, but not great. Opened more bottles this past weekend (6 weeks after bottling) and they were getting better but still fairly turbid. I've brewed this pale ale recipe three times in the past year and the biggest issue I'm associating with the defective yeast is the bottle priming. It seems to be taking longer than past times and is also not clearing well.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #160
uncleozzy
Recipes 

Man, I wish I had been following this. I haven't brewed in ages, and missed the recall notice. I pitched a packet of Notty on Saturday afternoon into 5 gallons of 1.050 wort. Nothing yet. The code on my "spare" pack is the recalled code, so I'm pretty sure the other one was, too. LHBS isn't open anytime I can get to it this week, so I think I'll just rehydrate the other packet, pitch it, and hope for the best. Ugh.

Quick Reply