Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Nottingham Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
sims_l22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Nottingham Yeast

I viewed the post about the Nottingham yeast how it exhibit slow fermentation characteristics. I have two packages of this yeast that i received with my extract kits that i never use because i use Wyeast smack packs. I want to start making my own yeast starters. Can i use these packets to make a starter, I figure this is a way to utilize them and to learn how to make a starter. Also would like to know of some books on the basics of yeast culture. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Only certain production runs of Nottingham had the problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sure you can do it but make a 1L starter although some people recommend not making a starter for dry yeast but if you just want to experience making a starter especially with notty I say go for it

Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There is no need to make a starter with dry yeast. You just want to rehydrate the dry yeast with about a cup of 90 degree water, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, and then pitch. A lot of great beer is made with dry yeast, including several award winners in the latest HBT competition. You want to make a starter with your liquid yeast, not dry yeast.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

It's a great cheap way to practice with a starter to get a little experience in. Go for it!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
It's a great cheap way to practice with a starter to get a little experience in. Go for it!
+1!!!

Plus a lot of folks including biermuncher wash and harvest their dry yeast, especially now that it has doubled in price. Gwoing and jarring it may not be a bad idea. Of course THEN the dry is no longer dry and needs to be treated as a liguid yeast and a starter made before brew day.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Agreed, giving notty a starter will only make it stronger not needed, but great practice. I personally don't ever even rehydrate my dry yeasts, I just chuck them into the cooled wort at pitching temps. It kicks off every time by the next morning, and my last double batch was a 10 gal and a 5 gal each, and did notty in both, and they both kicked off hard this last Sun morning, or sat eve, and are already done w/ like probably 90% of the fermentation, its slowing down well now and starting to clear. Only 4 days later...

Edit: of course I didn't take a gravity reading, so its possible its still finishing, but I don't touch it until at least 3 if not 4 weeks anyway

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
bzomerlei
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Echoing pompeiisneaks... I made 11 gallons of pale ale this weekend and split the batch into two carboys. I used a Nottingham packet in each carboy; the first one I pitched directly onto the cooled wort, the second one I pitched it with re-hydrated yeast.

When I checked them the next morning, the rehydrated yeast had a thicker kruesen, but within 48 hours they looked the same.

Brent

Quick Reply