Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Nottingham vs Safale S04 vs Coopers Yeast (Which is best to prevent yeast bite)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Robms88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Nottingham vs Safale S04 vs Coopers Yeast (Which is best to prevent yeast bite)

I have never used Safale S04 or Nottingham, but I have had yeast bite in my beer using Coopers. I know Nottingham and S04 is meant to be really good. Therefore, which is the best at reducing the yeast taste in my beer?

I have a very prolonged after-taste in my beer. It is not infected, but I can tell it has that 'home-brew' taste. Would Nottingham or S04 have the potential to reduce this?

Also, does bottle conditioning improve on yeast bite compared to just the flavour of the beer? This after-taste is overpowering the taste of the beer.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What temperature is your beer during fermentation?

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Robms88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I fermented in my kitchen which is constantly at 20 Celsius. I know that it never got more than that. There is no fruity tones (like banana), just a very bitter taste that is not in commercial beers (not good bitter).

Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

20 C is a bit warm, fermentation produces some heat by itself. Something closer to 16 C ambient would be better.
Another thing to look at would be your water, if you have excessive sulfate or magnesium it can lead to more perceived bitterness.
There's also the issue of time, if you haven't let your beer age enough you could have excessive yeast in suspension. Is the beer clear?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

I'm not a Cooper's fan, so either S04 or S05 or nottingham would be much better in my opinion.

However, it's very important to keep the fermentation temperatures where the manufacturer recommends, so when you choose a yeast strain make sure you take that into consideration. S04 is very nice and "clean" at 62 degrees, but very fruity at 72 degrees. Nottingham is very clean at 60 degrees, and "ok" at 65 degrees, but gets positively foul above about 72 degrees. S05 is good from 65-74ish.

Of course, that's beer temperature, not room temperature. The room temperature isn't important, but the fermentation will produce heat so it will often be higher than ambient temperature. I've seen it 8-10 degrees warmer than ambient temperatures during fermentation in the summer. So it's important to keep the temperature under control. That will improve the flavor greatly and get help rid of that "yeast bite" or weird woody flavor that Cooper's often has.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Rob, just for the sake of asking, are you sure that you're tasting yeast bite? I've found that bitter aftertaste is often due to hard water. What is your water source? What style beers are you brewing? (I assume they are extract kits?)

BTW, I've never used Coopers yeast but I have had good success with Nottingham, S-04 and S-05.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 748 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 240

What is best to eliminate the yeast bite is more time in the fermenter. 3 weeks minimum, 4 or more for a dark beer. Give that yeast time to finish the ferment, time to clean up the side effects of the ferment, and time to mature and settle out.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Nottingham is very clean at 60 degrees, and "ok" at 65 degrees, but gets positively foul above about 72 degrees. S05 is good from 65-74ish.
I completely agree. When I was just getting started, the best I could do for temp control was about 75* and I made two batches with Nottingham that were less than pleasant. US05 under the same conditions produced a better beer (but still not great by any means).

Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Robms88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used my tap water and it is quite hard water. Yes, I am doing extract kits. I guess the only thing I can do is to experiment with different yeasts, use bottled water that is not hard and use lower temperatures in order to find the cause of the problem.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robms88 View Post
I used my tap water and it is quite hard water. Yes, I am doing extract kits. I guess the only thing I can do is to experiment with different yeasts, use bottled water that is not hard and use lower temperatures in order to find the cause of the problem.
I'm willing to bet that it's a combination of the Cooper's yeast and too-high fermentation. Coopers yeast has a distinctive "woody" or earthy flavor that I dislike, and combined with being near 80 degrees in your kitchen, that would give some poor flavors.

Quick Reply