Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Nottingham doesn't need aeration?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
bgpbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Nottingham doesn't need aeration?

Anyone else notice that the Nottingham yeast doesn't require aerated wort? Really?

http://www.danstaryeast.com/sites/de..._datasheet.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

That's what they say about most (all?) dry yeasts.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

All yeast need aeration.. dry has alot more viable cells then liquid and the reproduction stage is less stressful for the yeast therefore it produces less off flavors at lower o2 levels comared to liquid..but aeration should be applied to dry yeast but its more important for liquid..hope this helps

Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeerbeer123 View Post
All yeast need aeration.. dry has alot more viable cells then liquid and the reproduction stage is less stressful for the yeast therefore it produces less off flavors at lower o2 levels comared to liquid..but aeration should be applied to dry yeast but its more important for liquid..hope this helps
this is not really accurate. aerating wort before pitching dry yeast won't hurt but it is not critical to dry yeast. 95% of my non sour beer is fermented with dry yeast and i never aerate the wort beyond whatever it gets from splashing out of the plate chiller into the fermentor. i do have an O2 tank that i use when i repitch the yeast (liquid yeast at that point).

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
this is not really accurate. aerating wort before pitching dry yeast won't hurt but it is not critical to dry yeast. 95% of my non sour beer is fermented with dry yeast and i never aerate the wort beyond whatever it gets from splashing out of the plate chiller into the fermentor. i do have an O2 tank that i use when i repitch the yeast (liquid yeast at that point).
Yeah you can get away with it without aeration and make very great beer..but a little o2 has more benefit then harm.. you are correct aeration is not critical for dry but i think o2 should be applied to dry yeast.maybe i should have said all yeast benefit from aeration rather then "need"

Quick Reply