Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodie

Reaction score
I pitched Nottingham for the first time 24 hours ago, and no fermentation yet.

I pitched, and rehydrated per the instructions on the danstar website, with one 11 gram packet into 5.5 gallons of 1.055 wort, at 62 degrees.

I am asking for any opinions on how long I should wait to pitch more yeast, and if I should rehydrate when I do? Also maybe 62 is too cold for Nottingham, and I should pitch something else?

Also I am basing it not beginning fermentation, not on no action in the airlock, but on the look of the wort which I can see in my glass carboy.

Thanks for the help!

Temp is fine, fermentation can take a bit to get going. I would wait it out for a bit longer before doing anything.

I use this yeast a lot around that temp. I would give it 48 hours or so before I began to worry. You are most likely going to be fine. If not, report back and we will help you fix it.

Yeast can definitely take a little longer at cooler temperatures to get going. I would stress it, it appears you did everything right. The cooler temps will make better beer, so don't worry.

62 is not too cold. That is the temp that I regularly ferment with it at. As a matter of fact, I rehydrated an 11 gram pack last night and pitched it at 10pm. The fermometer showed a temp of 62. Earlier in the day I chilled the wort down to 63 with a copper chiller. I checked it this morning at 9am and it was slowly bubbling and Krausen was starting to form. There was a layer of bubbles on the top. As mentioned, give it 48 hours or so and see what happens. I know the waiting sucks. As a general practice, I put in a tsp of Yeast Nutrient per gallon of wort with a few minutes left in the boil, and I also oxygenate the wort for 60 seconds right before I pitch the yeast. I don't think I've gone past 24 hours with no activity in the past 13 batches, which were all this year. Wait it out, which sucks, I know.

I just used notty for the first time last week.Took longer then 24 hours to get going.Id say around 36 before I started to see any action in airlock...And it started slow.Didnt see any real action till the following day.I was advised here that 62 was correct temp.Id say youll be posting "all good" tommorow

Not uncommon at all to sometimes take more than 24 hours to get kicking. Especially with US-05 I always see activity after 36-48 hours, usually no sooner. I also rehydrate properly and aerate using O2. Just how it is at times. Now, when I last used Notty it started quite fast, but again... sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It will get going so long as there was no user error (like boiling the yeast or something silly lol).

Rev.

And you were worried.....:D. Glad to hear it worked out. We have all been there staring longingly at our fermentation vessel hoping, praying for a sign of life. And when you finally see it, it's a mix of elation and relief. Good luck with your beer.

Back