Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Nothing happening ???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
mike1978
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Nothing happening ???

So i did a Amarillo APA Yesterday, finished around 1pm. I had a packet of Safale-04 in the fridge so i decided to use it (at room temp) I Pitched it right on top of the aerated wort @ 70 degrees, put the lid on and I have yet to see any action yet. Last time I used 04 it was blowin up after 12 hours or so. What should I do, if anything? One of my concerns is that i used a lid from another of my fermentor which seemed to be air tight, could it be the lid has a leak in it somewhere? Or should I just shut up and wait longer? It has been fermenting since 1/20/10 at 1pm and nothing is happening.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1978 View Post
So i did a Amarillo APA Yesterday, finished around 1pm. I had a packet of Safale-04 in the fridge so i decided to use it (at room temp) I Pitched it right on top of the aerated wort @ 70 degrees, put the lid on and I have yet to see any action yet. Last time I used 04 it was blowin up after 12 hours or so. What should I do, if anything? One of my concerns is that i used a lid from another of my fermentor which seemed to be air tight, could it be the lid has a leak in it somewhere? Or should I just shut up and wait longer? It has been fermenting since 1/20/10 at 1pm and nothing is happening.
wait!! i ha a similar issue a few weeks ago.I did not see any action until the fourth day.I bet you wil have some critters in a couple days.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
mike1978
Recipes 

critters??????

Old 01-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3497 Times on 3388 Posts
Likes Given: 2

S-04 has a tendency to start a bit slow, though less than 36 hours is not slow. Patience, grasshopper.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1978 View Post
critters??????
Yeastie babies!!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
mike1978
Recipes 

Thank you Sensei, you are wise.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
C2H5OH
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I could be wrong here, but my intuition says walk...

no,

RUN and get a fresh batch of yeast and re-pitch ASAP.

This assumes your hardware/fermenter/airlock system is airtight.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

Last edited by C2H5OH; 01-22-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Shut up and wait longer.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

First, fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

But by visible signs they DON'T mean airlock activity.

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" without taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on. It's exactly the same thing when you try to go by airlock....

You'll be much happier if you get out of that habit...you will find that fermentations rarely don't take off, or just Stop...In fact I've never had a beer not ferment. BUT half of my fermentations, spread out across 9 different fermenters, never blip once in the airlock.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years..

So, Relax, then wait 72 hours and take a hydrometer, and you'll see, more than likely that everything is fin...it is fine 99.95% of the time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
mike1978
Recipes 

72 hours later and nothing happening. About to take a hydro reading.

Ok, so this is what just happened..........

I popped open the bucket and took a hydrometer reading and it is 1022, upon further investigating I found a dead Bee floating in the brew. I guess he got in there at some point during the brew process because I brew outside. WTF do I do, is it ok or screwed. Should I re pitch some yeast or just check it again tomorrow or the next day? Or, just re name the beer Dead Bee APA.

Last edited by mike1978; 01-23-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply