The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Not loving S-04...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #41
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've definitely had some trouble with S-04. I brewed an English Bitter and it had a very tart finish. It has that nice round malty front, with a nice bitter finish then out of no where comes this tart I licked a sour patch kid or cry baby flavor. It faded as I drank through it and it aged in the keg but never went completely away. This was before I had temp control more firmly nailed down like I do now - but with so much other available yeast, dry and liquid if I get a yeast that doesn't perform well or suite my taste I just move on -- likewise if I get one I like for a particular style I stay with it. Don't fix if its not broken mentality.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #42
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Funny that I saw this thread...hardly ever use S-04 but used for OktoberFAST beer. I agree it has this tart thing going....not really sure what it is. I have temperture control..so that's not it. Don't really care for it....other people have tried the beer and they don't mind it.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #43
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I use it a lot for bitters, milds, porters, etc, but I tend to ferment my ales pretty cool-60-62F for the bulk of the fermentation.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #44
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Anxiously awaiting trying my first S-04 beer. Just dropped a pair of browns in the fridge this morning and I'm nervous. 10 gallons across 2 styles with this yeast and I'm not very confident.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #45
blacksquid
Recipes 

^^Yep. I bought 2 packs for use in a smoked porter and now you guys are making me think I should just go for something else... HMMM

Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #46
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid View Post
^^Yep. I bought 2 packs for use in a smoked porter and now you guys are making me think I should just go for something else... HMMM
FWIW, I didn't notice the strange flavors as much in my stout as I did in my Hobgoblin clone; the roastiness seemed to cover it up to some extent.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #47
blacksquid
Recipes 

Not sure I wanna do any cover up operation! I think I may just swap those packs for my usual US-05 or give Nottingham a shot...

Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #48
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

My experience with S-04 is limited, but what I have learned is that it does well in darker or maltier beers. For example I used it in a Blonde ale once. That beer turned out fine, but it definitely had a bready character to it from the yeast. I used it in a double IPA before and it was fantastic.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #49
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I recently made an ESB that just came out weird with S-04. I kept the temps around 70 and it still came out "off." I pitched a 1.5 cups of the S-04 slurry from my ESB into my Obsidian Stout clone and it turned out absolutely fantastic! If I use dry yeast in the future, it will be S-05 or Nottingham. S-04 just didn't work out for me.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #50
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFingers View Post
I recently made an ESB that just came out weird with S-04. I kept the temps around 70 and it still came out "off." I pitched a 1.5 cups of the S-04 slurry from my ESB into my Obsidian Stout clone and it turned out absolutely fantastic! If I use dry yeast in the future, it will be S-05 or Nottingham. S-04 just didn't work out for me.
Temps around 70? Is that ambient or fermentation? No offense but I haven't let a beer ferment that hot in years except for my saisons.
Several years ago I brewed a 15 gallon batch of Mild, OG around 1.045. I fermented it in 3 buckets with different yeasts but all at around 62-64F. I used WLP004, Safale 04 and Nottingham. The hands down favorite was the Nottingham with a very clean taste, but the 04 was a very close second. I used a very un-scientific evaluation method, several friends and family members sitting in the backyard drinking, but they had no idea they were evaluating yeasts so their comments were pretty honest.

Quick Reply