Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Not loving S-04...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiger420 View Post
Thank YOU!!!!!! I have been brewing for like 3 years now and I started using the dry yeast.. I will give it that it ferments very quickly but I couldn't put my finger on this sour tangy taste I was getting in my beers.... I just brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout and it has that sour tangy taste to it and I couldn't figure it out... does this settle with time??
In my experience no. It may become a little bit obnoxius...but I could still taste it in my Irish Red nine months later. I split a 10 gallon batch of this brew with a friend. He absolutely loved the beer and the 04 twang. So, I don't want to come across that I'm bashing the people that love this yeast. It just ain't for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
Geiger420
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

F$#@ !!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #33
Cincy17
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just kegged a pumpkin ale that was fermented with s-04 and it came out fantastic. I secondaried it for about 2-3 weeks since there was pumpkin in it, and it cleared completely and made a very compact cake in the secondary. No twang or off favors that I can find. I fermented around 62 degrees on average using a water bath so there were even temp swings as much as 5 degrees at times.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #34
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
In my experience no. It may become a little bit obnoxius...but I could still taste it in my Irish Red nine months later. I split a 10 gallon batch of this brew with a friend. He absolutely loved the beer and the 04 twang. So, I don't want to come across that I'm bashing the people that love this yeast. It just ain't for me.

Interesting that it could just be a matter of taste!

Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #35
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Yes it is a matter of taste. I don't like tart yeasts. Tangy, tart, sour, same kind of thing. I don't like it, in spite of the other positive characteristics of this yeast. It's not that it comes out undrinkable, you just have to like that kind of thing. I'm working my way through my last keg of S04 brewed beer right now. I think I'm done with that yeast.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #36
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My pumpkin ale that I did 3 weeks ago didn't even start up with S-04. Had to throw in some washed Bell's I was saving for another brew

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #37
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

If you want to try an exciting English yeast, try WLP002 or Wyeast1968. I use this strain for most of my beers. I love the quick fermentation, high flocculation, slightly lower attenuation, and the fruity estery things it adds. I pitch at 62 and let rise to 68, then when it begins to slow I use a heating pad to raise to 72-75 or more. I've pitched and fermented at 68 but it's pretty pungent. I would mostly reserve this technique for super flavorful browns, pumpkins, imperials, ambers, etc. If you're trying an IPA then you can keep it subtle and still get a lot of character

Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #38
andycr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
If you want to try an exciting English yeast, try WLP002 or Wyeast1968. I use this strain for most of my beers. I love the quick fermentation, high flocculation, slightly lower attenuation, and the fruity estery things it adds. I pitch at 62 and let rise to 68, then when it begins to slow I use a heating pad to raise to 72-75 or more. I've pitched and fermented at 68 but it's pretty pungent. I would mostly reserve this technique for super flavorful browns, pumpkins, imperials, ambers, etc. If you're trying an IPA then you can keep it subtle and still get a lot of character
Pitching temp is something I've yet to master - most of the time I just pitch at 72 and let it work its way down. I have managed to pitch in the low or mid 60's at times, basically by icing the wort down to 50 something... The top-up water is usually at room temp so it always brings it up a bit.

I have to try 002, though. I wish I'd used it for this batch of Caribou Slobber instead of Windsor - it's been a week and it's every bit as cloudy as the Hefeweizen sitting next to it... Doesn't help that I forgot the Irish moss.
Next up: Murphy's Law

Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #39
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My name is Grantman1 and I am an S-04 hateaholic. Nice to see there are others that struggle with this as well.

Esters galore, even when I fermented in the low 60s. And not good esters.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #40
andycr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1 View Post
My name is Grantman1 and I am an S-04 hateaholic. Nice to see there are others that struggle with this as well.

Esters galore, even when I fermented in the low 60s. And not good esters.
Welcome to the club! It's full of disappointing beers, strange esters, and shattered dreams.

Just sampled another with a little more age, still has a weird coriander and sour wine thing going on, with a bubblegum aftertaste. Glad I only brewed a 2.5 gallon batch; sure I can find some way to choke them down.

I do want to see whether age helps much, so I'll just take one a week for a few weeks before I give up all hope.
Next up: Murphy's Law

Quick Reply