Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Not loving S-04...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Put me in the camp of hating (yes, that's a strong word, but appropriate) 04. I've fermented it from 70F to 60F and in between to try to get this yeast to work for me. I've so wanted this yeast to make good beer, I mean....everybody loves it!! I'm tired of making beer that taste like sh&* because of this yeast and have completely written it off. If I want an English ale yeast, I go for WLP 002. Next to 05, 002 is my favorite yeast. Maybe some actually like the sour tangy taste that this yeast imparts on every brew ("fruity" my arse).....but I ain't one of them. Did I mention how much I despise this yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Put me in the camp of hating (yes, that's a strong word, but appropriate) 04. I've fermented it from 70F to 60F and in between to try to get this yeast to work for me. I've so wanted this yeast to make good beer, I mean....everybody loves it!! I'm tired of making beer that taste like sh&* because of this yeast and have completely written it off. If I want an English ale yeast, I go for WLP 002. Next to 05, 002 is my favorite yeast. Maybe some actually like the sour tangy taste that this yeast imparts on every brew ("fruity" my arse).....but I ain't one of them. Did I mention how much I despise this yeast?
Really glad it isn't just me. I don't think I'll be wasting any more time with it, when there are so many other great yeasts out there. Never tried WLP002 so that's at the top of my list. I've heard great things about WLP029 German Kölsch as a clean, general purpose, low-ester yeast so I will probably try an APA with that soon rather than US-05.

Ideally for most of my beers I'd like something which ferments very cleanly at 68 (so I can be lazy and only use an evaporation setup for cooling) - one British style, one American (Chico) style. If I could have those two at that temp I would be happy for 90% of my brews.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
WDT
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm with the consensus here in not liking S-04. However i'm going to give it one last chance in the low 60s with a mild that i'm planning.

I can say I made a porter with S-04 almost a year ago and it was undrinkable until about a month ago, now it's kind of good. So the "time heals all" theory does work with S-04. Though aging a porter for 8 months is a little too long for me. I ended up dumping most of it and keeping a sixer of it to see what happened.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDT View Post
I ended up dumping most of it and keeping a sixer of it to see what happened.
Short on space or bottles or what?

Instead of dumping it, you could have made beer bread, beer soup, beer stew, beer marinade, fried beer, beer kabobs, beer salad, beer and potatoes, beer burger, beer sandwich...

Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
Geiger420
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Thank YOU!!!!!! I have been brewing for like 3 years now and I started using the dry yeast.. I will give it that it ferments very quickly but I couldn't put my finger on this sour tangy taste I was getting in my beers.... I just brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout and it has that sour tangy taste to it and I couldn't figure it out... does this settle with time??

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #26
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 125

S-04 has always performed well for me. Ferments fast and flocculates well, fermented in the low 60's gives a nice flavor and a little fruit. Not a strong attenuator, but leaving a higher FG in some styles works better.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #27
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
I'm with the consensus here in not liking S-04. However i'm going to give it one last chance in the low 60s with a mild that i'm planning.
If you are looking for a dry yeast that is suitable for a mild, you might give Nottingham a shot instead of the S-04.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #28
WDT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme

Short on space or bottles or what?

Instead of dumping it, you could have made beer bread, beer soup, beer stew, beer marinade, fried beer, beer kabobs, beer salad, beer and potatoes, beer burger, beer sandwich...
Yep, short on bottles. Ive vowed to never do it again.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
WDT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy

If you are looking for a dry yeast that is suitable for a mild, you might give Nottingham a shot instead of the S-04.
Nottingham is fantastic!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #30
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Nottingham is fantastic!
I use it for a lot and really like it. Plus a local shop still sells the new vacuumed sealed packs it for a 1.59!

Double pitch for $3.18!

Quick Reply