New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Not loving S-04...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #121
badlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have some on it's way over the seas from Blighty Thailand bound right now. I am going to ferment it very cool,about 14c and see what that gets me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #122
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

I have a Brewer's Best RIS fermenting with this right now. I've been keeping it at about 67 and it still stalled out on me at 1.024. Since I don't have a back up, I've been keeping the fermenter in warm water and shaking the snot out of it once an hour. My gravity sample revealed flocculation that was very impressive. Unfortunately, I'm not ready for their retirement party just yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience? BTW, the gravity sample was still pretty tasty with strong roasty flavor and some suddle fruit aromas.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #123
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

1.024 isn't exactly an overly high FG for an RIS to finish attenuating. What was your OG?

Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #124
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 12

if it was indeed a RIS, then you are looking at 75% attenuation,right?
Or is it just me thinking the RIS has a low OG?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #125
gtibrews2
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithstewpid View Post
i think you will be fine. I love s04. I think people on here just like having NO yeast character whatsoever, which is why a lot just use us-05.

I use s-04 a lot, and am planning many more brews (ipas, stouts, whatever) with it because it flocs like a mo-fo and is super fast.
Yes...yes....well said....110% true.

Brews: Beastman Orange wheat/
Mustardplug cascadennial ale

Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #126
Callacave
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edds5p0 View Post
I have a Brewer's Best RIS fermenting with this right now. I've been keeping it at about 67 and it still stalled out on me at 1.024. Since I don't have a back up, I've been keeping the fermenter in warm water and shaking the snot out of it once an hour. My gravity sample revealed flocculation that was very impressive. Unfortunately, I'm not ready for their retirement party just yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience? BTW, the gravity sample was still pretty tasty with strong roasty flavor and some suddle fruit aromas.
I just kegged a Black Pearl Porter. It finished at 1.024 also. I forget at the moment what the FG was supposed to be. I know it was supposed to be lower, but I didn't worry about it. It's supposed to be a sweet Porter anyway. I'm going to let it age for a few weeks. It also really flocs wonderfully too. I really didn't have any loss from the trub at all.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #127
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 33

1.024 FG should be fine for an RIS. There are usually a lot of unfermentables in there, especially if it was extract. Why are you shaking it? You want good aeration initially, but after it kicks off leave it alone. You don't want oxidation/stability problems later on.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #128
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 99

[QUOTE=solbes;4775225]1.024 FG should be fine for an RIS. There are usually a lot of unfermentables in there, especially if it was extract. Why are you shaking it? You want good aeration initially, but after it kicks off leave it alone. You don't want oxidation/stability problems later on.[/QUOTE]

That's called 'rousing the yeast', it drives off CO2 from the cake, and resuspends yeast that has flocculated earlier. It can sometimes help lower the FG a little. There is a blanket of CO2 over the beer and it is in a sealed fermentor, so oxidation isn't an issue.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #129
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

What he said. I tweaked the recipe with a half pound of carapils in place of the maltodextrin they left out of the kit. I'm not sure if that changes anything or not. I've never brewed anything that finished this high, so it looks like I worried for nothing. I also didn't get a violent fermentation like many described with the kit.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #130
messersc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee View Post
I have some on it's way over the seas from Blighty Thailand bound right now. I am going to ferment it very cool,about 14c and see what that gets me.
S-04 wouldn't underattenuate at 14C?

I don't know anything about the biology or pragmatics of brewing ales at that sort of temperature, so please inform me.

Quick Reply