Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Not loving S-04...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #111
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Ah! I wish I had read this before my last brew. Though I have yet to taste the final product, I stumbled on this and now understand what went wrong. Seems s04 is not the yeast for me because I can use yeasts that work at my fairly stable basement temp of 66-68 just fine. This isn't that s04 is a bad yeast for those with ferm chambers, just not for me. Here's my bad s04 experience. Left this gingerbread stout 3 weeks in primary. Opened the primary for the first time at 3 weeks to rack to secondary. The thing burnt my nose hairs... Oh *** this thing was throwing esters bad. Perhaps one pack was slightly under pitching for 5 gallons at 1.061 someone earlier mentioned an English Ale yeast will throw esters (more so then most strains would) if it is struggling. This wasn't under-pitching enough to need a whole second pack though. So I would have had to buy a second and use half of it, had I known it would be such a struggle for the little guys I would have sent more in. Again, should have done my homework. So under pitched combined with the steady 66deg F - that now I am reading here is 6 degrees to hot. So 10 days in secondary with some vanilla bean, brew partner and I are like man can't wait to smell this gingerbread stout... Me: "BANANA BREAD WTF?" Brew Partner: Oh good you smell it too? I thought I was crazy. Man the esters out did themselves here. We bottled anyway, of course, and in one more week it should be carbed, but I have to say I am scared. It seems for the extra work and monitoring needed with 04 I am going to find a better English yeast. I prefer to pitch and forget, ya know give the yeasties some privacy while they multiply, eat, then go to sleep. Then come in and steal the beer away. We may enter in our intended home brew club competition anyway and call it a banana bread just for a laugh.
CO2 burn??

when opening a fermenter for the first time you cant just stick your nose in, the CO2 will burn the hell out of your nose when you inhale. been there many time because i always think "well it wont happen this time."

could this bee what you mean?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #112
mewithstewpid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiniw2olives View Post
LOL, why did I read this post. I just made Common Room ESP last night with the subject yeast, and am at about 64-66 degrees. Hope I don't have a mess on my hands.
i think you will be fine. I love s04. I think people on here just like having NO yeast character whatsoever, which is why a lot just use us-05.

I use s-04 a lot, and am planning many more brews (ipas, stouts, whatever) with it because it flocs like a mo-fo and is super fast.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #113
mewithstewpid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungerJack View Post
Hey TacoGuthrie, how long does it take till your stouts start to taste right using his yeast?
I dont know about his answer, but I have been drinking my all grain stout out of the fermenter for the past week (it was brewed on 12/29 with s-04). Im trying not drink all of it before its bottled but i cant make any promises.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #114
Psych
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

For what it's worth, I recently made a batch with s-04 (late November) and had it finished, carbed and on-tap by maybe December 10th or so. I had fermented at around 64 for the most part, sometimes dropped to 60-62'ish during the 3 days of violent fermentation.

From December 10th through maybe Jan 2nd, it was progressively getting better but overall had a taste I didn't like. Now suddenly it's wicked clear (for a brown) and this amazing malty flavor is coming out, it's ridiculously good.

Now whether this is by nature of the yeast being fully dropped out after a month of kegerator temps, and I've finally flushed most of them out into my glasses so am no longer tasting them...or if it's due to the recipe itself coming into it's own maturity, I don't know. It was a basic brown with some crystal 80 and a bit of chocolate malt for color, low on hops. But the flavor is super good, not at all like it was in the first month or so.

Give it time and all things work out....or maybe filter the yeast out once it's done, it's byproducts taste good it seems but I don't care for the taste of the actual yeasties themselves.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #115
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 123

I use this yeast alot.I've made some really good beers with this strain, I think the trick with this yeast is to ferment in a 5gal. carboy and use a blowoff tube.I think it's one of those strains that needs to be skimmed, kind of like ringwood.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #116
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

This yeast has never been too far off from 05 for me. Pretty clean,and perhaps not estery enough or englishy enough for what I thought it would have been. I thought windsor was too clean,in my beers not that Im complaining I liked it,just none of them seemed to have very much character. I like o4, attenuates and clears well. Didnt have maybe enough character I was expecting it to have.Maybe to crisp and dry possibly. Maybe I was having issuses with my water that could be something to do with that,I havent really ruled it out completly as I was brewing all different styles as well.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #117
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Ah! I wish I had read this before my last brew. Though I have yet to taste the final product, I stumbled on this and now understand what went wrong. Seems s04 is not the yeast for me because I can use yeasts that work at my fairly stable basement temp of 66-68 just fine. This isn't that s04 is a bad yeast for those with ferm chambers, just not for me. Here's my bad s04 experience. Left this gingerbread stout 3 weeks in primary. Opened the primary for the first time at 3 weeks to rack to secondary. The thing burnt my nose hairs... Oh *** this thing was throwing esters bad. Perhaps one pack was slightly under pitching for 5 gallons at 1.061 someone earlier mentioned an English Ale yeast will throw esters (more so then most strains would) if it is struggling. This wasn't under-pitching enough to need a whole second pack though. So I would have had to buy a second and use half of it, had I known it would be such a struggle for the little guys I would have sent more in. Again, should have done my homework. So under pitched combined with the steady 66deg F - that now I am reading here is 6 degrees to hot. So 10 days in secondary with some vanilla bean, brew partner and I are like man can't wait to smell this gingerbread stout... Me: "BANANA BREAD WTF?" Brew Partner: Oh good you smell it too? I thought I was crazy. Man the esters out did themselves here. We bottled anyway, of course, and in one more week it should be carbed, but I have to say I am scared. It seems for the extra work and monitoring needed with 04 I am going to find a better English yeast. I prefer to pitch and forget, ya know give the yeasties some privacy while they multiply, eat, then go to sleep. Then come in and steal the beer away. We may enter in our intended home brew club competition anyway and call it a banana bread just for a laugh.
ONly thing that matters is if it tastes like bannana bread. I made an ipa with bry-97 dry yeast,fermented low 60's. Blow off smelled exactly like bannanna bread. Im not scared. I know it wont taste like that,if that were the case people would be afraid of a sulfer smell some yeasts can give off or other weird smells.It doesnt mean thats how your beer will end up.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #118
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So, is this just a case of brewers only wanting yeast character if its Belgian? What's wrong with English ale yeast character? Come on,is this just the dreaded yeast snobbery rearing its head?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #119
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee View Post
So, is this just a case of brewers only wanting yeast character if its Belgian? What's wrong with English ale yeast character? Come on,is this just the dreaded yeast snobbery rearing its head?
I love English yeast character. The beer I amdrimking is an English strong ale fermented with Wyeast West Yorkshire. That or WLP007 are probably my most used yeasts. I just can't stand most of the S-04 beers I have had. There is just something off in the ester profile. I can't really describe it.

Although Crankers Brewpub in Big Rapids MI uses S-04 in my favorite IPA of all time. I have no idea what they do different that everybody else doesn't.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #120
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Welp, my fingers are crossed. I've got a Best Bitter in the fermenter using S-04 yeast. I pitched at 62 degrees and put it in my 58 degree coal room. It fermented vigorously for a good 5 days and the fermometer on the carboy read 64 degrees during that. Now that it's winding down I'll pull it into the basement where it's 65 degrees. Here in another week I'll take a reading on it.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Quick Reply