The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Not loving S-04...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #91
gtibrews2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I like a late addition of unicorn blood.

Brews: Beastman Orange wheat/
Mustardplug cascadennial ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #92
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Love s04. Just brewed a stout on Saturday it's done already(Wednesday). Clear and tastes great, no off flavors that my admittedly poor palate can detect an I pitched hot, and it even started fermenting within 6 hours while the wort was still over 80

Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #93
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Just sampled a blonde ale fermented with US-05, has one of the same most unpleasant off-flavors I had attributed to S-04. Looking for common elements between the two other than yeast - may give S-04 another chance.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #94
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2962 Times on 1878 Posts
Likes Given: 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
I have a Hobgoblin clone that (immature, admittedly) tastes a bit like wine mixed with coriander.
Hmmm. I've got a Hobgoblin clone fermenting right now with S-04. I made the same beer with the same yeast 2 years ago and it was really good, so I'm hoping nothing has changed.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #95
BarnyardFunk
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithstewpid View Post
Love s04. Just brewed a stout on Saturday it's done already(Wednesday). Clear and tastes great, no off flavors that my admittedly poor palate can detect an I pitched hot, and it even started fermenting within 6 hours while the wort was still over 80
Great to hear man- hope I have the same luck. I have a ruination clone fermenting with S-04 right now. I really didn't know anything about it as I had gotten it with a kit and this is only my 2nd batch. I pitched at the correct temperature but I have no serious temperature control and my garage has been between 64-68 during this time. From what it sounds like, fermentation at high 60's can cause repulsive off flavors with S-04 (and I'm not sure how hot the actual fermentation got as I had it in a bucket w/ no temp gauge- but I have been reading that S-04 can get really hot). After reading about the strain I decided to leave it for a while after fermentation to 'clean up' the beer..so I had it in primary for 3 weeks and its been in secondary for 2 1/2 weeks- Also, it's a fairly big beer (1.077 OG), but hopefully leaving it in that long will help. (I really just have no time to bottle as it is right now anyway ha)

Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #96
HungerJack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed a Robust Porter monday. Pitched S-04. Checked gravity today. I gotta say, it's great at attenuating, down to 1.012, and it was pretty clear for only being 4 days old. BUT, the ****ing Robust Porter, tasted like Robust Red Wine! WTF??!!! Temps in the closet it was in didn't go higher than 62 degrees.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #97
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 49

How good could the robust porter taste just a few days into the fermentation. Let that one ride, I bet it will end up great.

My low gravity brown evolved into a decent brew. Still taste a faint off sour taste from the upper 60's ferment with S-04, but its way in the background now. Probably 9-10 weeks in the bottle. I have to assume this is the best it will ever get, so time to get it consumed before it declines.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #98
HungerJack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe I'm feeling like I'm "cursed by the gods of porter" or something. My last attempt was an Oatmeal Robust Porter that ended up getting infected. My fault really though, by leaving my chilling wort outside overnight after having a few too many Edmund Fitzgerald. Thanks for the words of inspiration. I also have an IPA in primary and when I checked the gravity on it, it tasted amazing only 8 days in. I guess similar expectations were anticipated in the taste of my young brews.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #99
newb
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ah! I wish I had read this before my last brew. Though I have yet to taste the final product, I stumbled on this and now understand what went wrong. Seems s04 is not the yeast for me because I can use yeasts that work at my fairly stable basement temp of 66-68 just fine. This isn't that s04 is a bad yeast for those with ferm chambers, just not for me. Here's my bad s04 experience. Left this gingerbread stout 3 weeks in primary. Opened the primary for the first time at 3 weeks to rack to secondary. The thing burnt my nose hairs... Oh *** this thing was throwing esters bad. Perhaps one pack was slightly under pitching for 5 gallons at 1.061 someone earlier mentioned an English Ale yeast will throw esters (more so then most strains would) if it is struggling. This wasn't under-pitching enough to need a whole second pack though. So I would have had to buy a second and use half of it, had I known it would be such a struggle for the little guys I would have sent more in. Again, should have done my homework. So under pitched combined with the steady 66deg F - that now I am reading here is 6 degrees to hot. So 10 days in secondary with some vanilla bean, brew partner and I are like man can't wait to smell this gingerbread stout... Me: "BANANA BREAD WTF?" Brew Partner: Oh good you smell it too? I thought I was crazy. Man the esters out did themselves here. We bottled anyway, of course, and in one more week it should be carbed, but I have to say I am scared. It seems for the extra work and monitoring needed with 04 I am going to find a better English yeast. I prefer to pitch and forget, ya know give the yeasties some privacy while they multiply, eat, then go to sleep. Then come in and steal the beer away. We may enter in our intended home brew club competition anyway and call it a banana bread just for a laugh.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #100
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I've had great luck with S04.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Quick Reply