New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Not Enough Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
newtobrew36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Not Enough Yeast?

I started a Mad Elf clone yesterday. It's a higher gravity beer, an OG of 1.090. I pitched a packet of Safbrew T-58 (my homebrew store was out of the liquid yeast I wanted) and it is fermenting just fine. However, I've been reading that under pitching can cause off flavors. Would it beneficial to get another bag of yeast and add it now? Or should I just leave it alone since its fermenting well and not risk contamination?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

If it was an 11g bag and you rehydrated you should probably be okay as there is a lot more viable yeast in those packs than a typical smack pack or vial but to be sure you can visit:

http://www.yeastcalc.com, plug in the numbers for your beer and yeast and see what the recommended pitch rate was and make the adjustment if necessary.

IMO, if it is already fermenting nicely then you should be fine, just keep it in mind for next batch.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
newtobrew36
Recipes 

Thats good to hear. I wasn't too thrilled with idea of opening it up right now. I'll be sure to use that calculator on the next batch. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
BruinFan
Recipes 

Safbrew is a pretty hardy yeast, you should be fine. When in doubt, you can always throw another 11g packet in there if you don't want to rehydrate. Since I have gone dry, yeast that is, I haven't gone back.

Quick Reply