Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > not enough yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
taylor50505
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default not enough yeast?

I recently made an Irish Red Ale using the White Labs Irish Ale Yeast. The directions said to shake it well before opening it.. So we shook it and it exploded everywhere. We dumped the remaining yeast in the fermentation tank but it didn't seem like much. It is bubbling in the air lock and slighty foaming but not as much as my past beers. Should I ad more yeast? Or will it be ok.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
dkm11b
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

one vial is good for one 5 gallon batch of ale at around 1.050 or so. some people make starters for all of their beer, even when they have a full vial. you threw in part of a vial of yeast, it will possibly stress the yeast, and make some strange tasting esters in your beer, which doesn't really sound good for your style. id go buy another vial.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
lejohnnyc
Recipes 

I had a similar situation, but I was using dry yeast, and just pitched another rehydrated packet ~22 hours after initial pitching, i.e., before fermentation of my (unexpectedly) big beer got under way enough to create a high enough alcohol % to make adding more yeast an uphill battle. For the future I would use a starter for liquid yeasts to ensure a good pitching rate.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I shake the vial when I first get it to make sure that the yeast clump is broken up and then let it sit. Open a 'crack', tighthen, shake, repeat.

Quick Reply