Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Noob Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
Momo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Pappers - It is not my first. I have done three ales, thought one came out flat - I have a question about that as well. All were extract, basic kits from the home brew store, the two that were not flat were quite good.

The having good beer part was great but I found the limitations of the extract with steeped grains repetitive and frustrating. I know quite a bit can be done with extract brewing but extract beer always tastes like home brew. Not necessarily a bad thing, I just want my beer to taste and look like really good beer not really good home brewed beer.

My other question though. The batch that came out flat was a pale ale, extract with steeped grains. It went for three weeks in the primary and about four in a secondary. In the carboy it was a beautiful super clear amber color – I was pumped. Six weeks later in the bottles, it is flat. Does too much time in a primary or secondary let too much suspended yeast settle out, thus leaving nothing to eat the priming sugar?

Thanks a lot everybody’s responses by the way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

how much priming sugar are you using (should be 4-5 oz per 5 gallons). There should still be plenty of yeast to prime be that seems like a long time if it's not a big brew (high gravity)...I would say leave it 3-4 weeks in primary and bottle...you can always age/condition in the bottle. kudos to your patience brother

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

also be sure to get it a week or 2 at happy yeast temp before cold conditioning...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Momo
Recipes 

Not sure how many ounces, it was about a cup though. I had it in the house so it was around 68F. Wish I could say I was patient, just don’t have enough time in the day!!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo View Post
Not sure how many ounces, it was about a cup though. I had it in the house so it was around 68F. Wish I could say I was patient, just don’t have enough time in the day!!
The longer you let the beer clear before bottling will have an effect on how long it takes to carb but there should still be enough yeast in there to do the job. I have had beers that I left in the secondary for over a month and I had trouble too, I found that inverting the bottles to rouse up the yeast once a day for a week or so seemed to help speed the process. You can also just wait it out. I had one beer take about 2 months before it was carbed and even then it was bout 10-12 weeks before it was at the proper level.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
Momo
Recipes 

Well that is good news, I guess I will not dump it quite yet.

Quick Reply