Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Nonstop fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
mattbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Nonstop fermentation

Last weekend I cooked up a red ale. At the end of the cook I added 1lb of honey. I used a yeast starter and as usual, fermentation happened within 12 hours. I used a blow off, and when it finally calmed down, 7 days later I put on an airlock. 10 days later there is a constant bubbling. Please help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
SynthesisError
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never used honey in a beer, but some of my mead primary fermentations using non-filtered honey have lasted for two or three months. It's done when it's done. Did you take an OG reading?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
mattbeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

No, I broke my hydrometer during the cook, so I never got an OG. I replaced it, but its useless for this batch. It was made from scratch, so I don't have a general idea of when its going to be done. Should I just assume that when it stops bubbling, I can send it to a secondary? Then I'll bottle a week later?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Use that new hydrometer to take a gravity reading, then wait three days and take another. If they're the same, it's done. If not, the yeast is still working.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 02-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Follow pernox's advice. When the gravity is stable, give it 3-4 more days to clean up, then rack to secondary or do whatever your going to do.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Beer sometimes takes weeks to primary, just be patient.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

why move it to a secondary? it won't make the beer better to move it off of the yeast. anyway, the airlock can bubble for a variety of reasons even after the beer is completely fermented, the hydrometer is the best way to determine when it's done even if you don't have the starting gravity.

Quick Reply