Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > No sign of fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
bedub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default No sign of fermentation

About 18 hours ago I put in a nice Stone IPA clone in to start fermenting. I see no sign at all that active fermentation has started. Should I be worried?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 46

what did you pitch, starter vials, smack pack? if no starter how old were the vials/packs? what's the temp at right now and what did you pitch at? what's the OG? sorry varying factors for why it may not be going which is why the q's...

Is it in a bucket? Sometimes the seals on those can be bad and it won't show airlock activity

Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Czm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedub
About 18 hours ago I put in a nice Stone IPA clone in to start fermenting. I see no sign at all that active fermentation has started. Should I be worried?
Ive had some take 2 days to start. Check your gravity it'll tell ya. If nutin in 72 hrs repitch new yeast (do starter with liquid it helps).

Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be deceiving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going- Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we STILL don't mean airlock activity.

It's too soon to even begin to worry...after 72 hours take a grav reading and come back and say "You were right guys, thanks!!"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you're waiting 72 hrs for fermentation to start, you're doing something wrong. Pay attention to pitch rate, temp, and yeast health and you won't have these things to worry about next time.

A properly pitched ale at the correct temperature will be active in 12-24 hrs at most. 8hrs or less is typical.

Quick Reply