Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   No Fermentation - Am I hosed? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/no-fermentation-am-i-hosed-182634/)

yeastbound 06-15-2010 11:49 PM

No Fermentation - Am I hosed?
 
Hey guys,

I boiled a 5 gallon batch of our Bock on Friday evening. I pitched one Activator pack of Bohemian Lager.

1. When I ordered this yeast, I neglected to order an ice pack and it was noticeably warm when I received it. I put it in the fridge and didn't think anything else of it. When I smacked it (about 90 minutes prior to pitching), I got no swell whatsoever. So I'm thinking my yeast may have been toast.

2. Since I don't have my external temp controller for my lagering chest yet, I cranked the temp all the way down on my garage fridge and stuck the bucket in there. I know this is usually not a good idea, but I didn't have another option, and this has worked in a pinch for me before.

It's been four + days and so far I've got nada in terms of fermentation. My temp controller shows up on Friday. I can run to the LHBS and buy another pack of yeast.

Can this batch be saved?

COLObrewer 06-16-2010 12:02 AM

Sounds cold, whats the fridge temp?

ChshreCat 06-16-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeastbound (Post 2113778)
2. Since I don't have my external temp controller for my lagering chest yet, I cranked the temp all the way down on my garage fridge and stuck the bucket in there.

I think you'd have a better chance turning the temp UP in your fridge. I know with my fridge, the low end of the temperature range starts freezing things.

yeastbound 06-16-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLObrewer (Post 2113799)
Sounds cold, whats the fridge temp?

Fluctuates between about 44 and 58 F

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChshreCat (Post 2113799)
I think you'd have a better chance turning the temp UP in your fridge. I know with my fridge, the low end of the temperature range starts freezing things.

I misspoke. It's at the lowest number, which is the "Least Cold" setting.

COLObrewer 06-16-2010 01:24 AM

STill seems cold but, I know nothing of your yeast, so, . . . . .I'll shut up, maybe someone with knowledge will chime in here.

yeastbound 06-16-2010 01:30 AM

COLO, thanks for input. My yeast is Wyeast 2124 - Bohemian Lager. Per WY website, it's preferred fermentation range is between 45-55 F.

My major concern is the state of the wort. How long is too long to wait without primary fermentation? By Friday, I can correct the two issues that I think may be causing the problem. If I can just add more yeast and correct temp, do I just add the yeast to the fermenter? Do I need to re-oxygenate? Should I rack off of the existing (potentially bad) yeast?

strat_thru_marshall 06-16-2010 02:29 AM

have you taken a gravity reading? thats the only way to know for sure if theres any fermentation taking place.

Lager yeasts behave much differently than Ale yeast and sometimes you dont see a lot of action...

yeastbound 06-16-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall (Post 2114052)
have you taken a gravity reading? thats the only way to know for sure if theres any fermentation taking place.

Lager yeasts behave much differently than Ale yeast and sometimes you dont see a lot of action...

I'll do that in the morning and report back.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.