Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > No fermentation activity from harvested yeast...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Mofoa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default No fermentation activity from harvested yeast...

Hey all -- I took a shot at harvesting some (California Ale) yeast in a prior 5 Gallon batch which I used to pitch in my next American Pale Ale 5G batch. My first problem here is that I didn't prepare a starter with the harvested yeast (note to self: ALWAYS prepare a starter with harvested yeast). In my quest to correct my error made a day earlier, I gathered the remaining harvested yeast I had on hand and prepared a 2 liter starter and let sit on stir plate for 24 hrs.

It had shown 'some' activity but not nearly as much as if this were done using a new pack of yeast. After the 24 hour period, I pitched it to the wort. 20 hours later, there is 'some' fermentation activity, I can see pressure building by the slight bending upwards of the bucket lid. Not much activity happening in the airlock. (One thing to note is I am using the one-piece airlock for this batch which I hardly ever use).

Would appreciate getting some opinions on whether I am OK, or if I should just pitch additional package of yeast.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofoa View Post
I can see pressure building by the slight bending upwards of the bucket lid. Not much activity happening in the airlock.
How can that happen if it has an airlock? Is the airlock plugged up?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
How can that happen if it has an airlock? Is the airlock plugged up?

Good point. This is a new bucket/lid where the lid seems not to be completely flat as my other lids. Different maker.

I think I may go with my gut on this one and just pitch a new package of yeast to be on the safe side.

Lesson learned: Prepare yeast starter, and analyze the viability carefully to determine if you have enough healthy yeast to pitch.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofoa

Good point. This is a new bucket/lid where the lid seems not to be completely flat as my other lids. Different maker.

I think I may go with my gut on this one and just pitch a new package of yeast to be on the safe side.

Lesson learned: Prepare yeast starter, and analyze the viability carefully to determine if you have enough healthy yeast to pitch.
Better yet, take a gravity reading or a peek in the bucket!

Just because the airlock shows nothing doesn't mean it's not fermenting as gas can be escaping through a poorly sealed lid

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My plastic fermenter lids always bow up even with a perfectly clean airlock. It doesn't take much pressure to deform them. A 15" diameter lid with a 1" water column (normal for a single piece airlock) means about 6lb of force pushing up on that flimsy plastic lid.

But as duboman said, plastic lids are notorious for poor sealing. As long as it is doing anything give it a while.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngaltsmotor View Post
My plastic fermenter lids always bow up even with a perfectly clean airlock. It doesn't take much pressure to deform them. A 15" diameter lid with a 1" water column (normal for a single piece airlock) means about 6lb of force pushing up on that flimsy plastic lid.
Sorry, 6 psi is equal to 166 inches of water column, so 1 inch of water column is .036 psi. That's not going to deform anything.

EDIT, I reread your post and you are correct. 6 lbs of force, I thought it said 6 psi.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

OK, I removed the air-lock to have a peek through the hole. Appears to a nice krausen. I replaced the one piece air-lock with the three piece-and within a minute, I now can see more the bubbling I typically see.

False alarm.

No more one piece air-lock for me.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

check your grommet. if the rubber gets a tear, you'll get no bubbles.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
check your grommet. if the rubber gets a tear, you'll get no bubbles.
You know, there were too many variables in this latest batch. First time using from harvested yeast, first time using this new bucket/lid , and first time using this new one piece air-lock. I wasn't a fan of this air-lock as I was putting it together the first time. I was having issues with getting this particular grommet (funny that you mentioned it) fitted into the hole as it is not the typical tapered grommet style I normally use.

Just thankful I can get the re-assurance I need as I continue to grow and learn from this site.

Quick Reply