Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > No Activity....24 hours later

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
jhart94949
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default No Activity....24 hours later

Ok, I know this is the same song and dance as many other posts but here is what I have going on. I brewed a milk stout last night. I pitched two bags if wyeast London ale and out it in my cool brew bag. When I got home from work today there is still no activity. My cool brew bag has kept the temp around 64 degrees....I am assuming my temp is to low??? I removed my fermenter from my bag and put it in my house that is 76 degrees today.... Sooo my question is; is the low to mid 60's to cool for London ale yeast????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 219

64F should be perfectly fine. You didn't say if you made a starter or not. If not, the lag time could be up to 36 hours. I always make a starter and see initial fermentation activity within 6 hours.

-=ô¿ô=-

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '14
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '14
Keg #1: Amarillo Pale Ale
Keg #2: California Honey Amber
Keg #3: Amarillo IPA
Keg #4: Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Porter
Bottled: Pom-Cran Sour '13, Dad's Apple Pie Cider
On-Deck: Golden Spike Belgian Rye, Amarillo Series Ales

Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
RedBeardedBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Make sure you have enough water or alcohol in your airlock so you can actually see bubbles coming out. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but myself and others have made this silly mistake.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

64 is fine for that yeast. Probably slow to start. Give it another day before you panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeardedBrewer View Post
Make sure you have enough water or alcohol in your airlock so you can actually see bubbles coming out. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but myself and others have made this silly mistake.
Sometimes you don't see fermentation due to leaks in the fermenter. Bucket lid seals seem to be the biggest culprit of this.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
jhart94949
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Alright, 36 hours and no movement.....what is my next step?

Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 210

If you did not make a starter for the liquid yeast and did not properly aerate the wort active fermentation can take up to 72 hours to get going. You could also have a leaky seal on your lid causing the gasses to escape without showing in the airlock. Did you look for krausen formation? Have you taken a gravity reading? Airlock bubbles really mean nothing...........

If you pitched warm and then cooled the yeast down you also increased the lag time until the yeast acclimates. That yeast works fine at 64 but it does also like to be raised as fermentation slows to keep it busy.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
jhart94949
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman
If you did not make a starter for the liquid yeast and did not properly aerate the wort active fermentation can take up to 72 hours to get going. You could also have a leaky seal on your lid causing the gasses to escape without showing in the airlock. Did you look for krausen formation? Have you taken a gravity reading? Airlock bubbles really mean nothing........... If you pitched warm and then cooled the yeast down you also increased the lag time until the yeast acclimates. That yeast works fine at 64 but it does also like to be raised as fermentation slows to keep it busy.
I pitched my yeast after I chilled wort to 74, on top of that I added a gallon of tap water to bring level up to five gallons. I have checked my lid seal and it "seems fine", I do not see a krausen head yet either....but I am fermenting in a 5 gallon bucket so it's hard to tell. I will take a gravity reading when I get home and hopefully it shows something.

Let's say hypothetically it shows no activity after 72 hours.....what would I do next??? Would picking up a pack of dry yeast and pitching it on top mess things up??? Do they even make London ale yeast in dry form??

Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've had batches take 4-5 days to "show" and then gone wild with Wyeast. It's one of the reasons it is not my yeast of choice.....that smack pack may swell but it could have just barely got started I think.....how long did your's sit before you pitched?

Green Bay Packers - 13 Time World Champions

Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Pop the kid and look for krausen. Because you pitched 10 degrees higher than you're fermenting you shocked the yeast and they will be slower to acclimate to the new temp. You also don't mention a starter so you most likely under pitched-both contributing to a longer lag phase.

Be patient, it should take off for you, it's a great yeast and will make a great beer!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
jtbeachbum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Im working on a fermentation right now that I under-pitched as well due to no starter. Mine never really took off but I kept monitoring and checked after a week. Lo and behold, the gravity was down from 1.090 to 1.030. Last night I roused the yeast by gently rocking the fermenter back and forth a few times and guess what..it started bubbling and is still going this morning. All that to say, rdwhahb. Rest easy, drink a homebrew, keep your temps right and let the yeast do their thing. And yeah, to answer your subsequent question. Good dry yeast for british style ales is Safale S-04. Just my few cents worth.

Quick Reply