Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Newbie Yeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
wsender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Alright, thanks for all the help; I really do appreciate it.

One last question though. When I'm doing the initial step up, three steps starting at 1020 to 1040, how long should I do each step. I will be using a stir plate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 121

With a stir plate, you want to go 24 hours max or you risk stressing the yeast. The exeption to that would be on the first step with older yeast where it may take an extra day or three to wake them up from their long slumber. After you have done a few starters, you'll be able to look at the color of the wort and tell when it's gone long enough, as it will have turned from a translucent brown to a creamy tan.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsender View Post
Alright, thanks for all the help; I really do appreciate it.

One last question though. When I'm doing the initial step up, three steps starting at 1020 to 1040, how long should I do each step. I will be using a stir plate.
I tend to not use a plate for the first step. The yeast are very fragile and stressed. Plus it really helps to be able to see the activity when a little teensy tiny krausen forms and you can see the very thin yeast layer at the bottom grow. Once you're past that step, go ahead and throw it on the stir plate. Keep in mind that first step can take a while in some cases.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply