Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New Yeast Supplier- anybody heard of "Real Brewer's Yeast"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
tagz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Nice. I'm excited to hear how this yeast performs. I would simplify your recipe though. Instead of a Belgian pale ale with spices, I would brew a simple blonde. Maybe some pils, wheat, aromatic, and sugar. One bittering addition, no flavor or aroma and no spices. That way you'll get a clear picture of the yeast profile. Either way keep us updated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Aa760
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was kind of afraid somebody might say that. I do agree that the spices may make it hard to see what the yeast is actually doing for the beer. With that in mind, I will drop the spices, or perhaps split the batch. For hops, I think I will keep the schedule I have as I just can't resist (hey- being honest here) hopping it up a bit- I do live in San Diego! Thanks for the suggestion- I think I just needed to hear it from somebody else to know that the spices, while interesting, were going to mask my ability to evaluate the yeast.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3025 Times on 1908 Posts
Likes Given: 2564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aa760 View Post
I was kind of afraid somebody might say that. I do agree that the spices may make it hard to see what the yeast is actually doing for the beer. With that in mind, I will drop the spices, or perhaps split the batch. For hops, I think I will keep the schedule I have as I just can't resist (hey- being honest here) hopping it up a bit- I do live in San Diego! Thanks for the suggestion- I think I just needed to hear it from somebody else to know that the spices, while interesting, were going to mask my ability to evaluate the yeast.
Of course, anything you add to the beer is going to further mask the yeast flavor, especially the spices.

One simple test you could do is to split the batch. Use US-05 in one half, your new yeast in the other. US-05 is very clean and does not add much to the flavor.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
najel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So from the website of the company that seems associated with this yeast supplier, I read some stuff about genetic modification, DNA cloning, etc. This concerns me a bit, I know that the two big guys both stress very much that they don't do any genetic modifications to their strains, but only select cells with certain properties for to get new strains.
Not saying that these guys do it differently or that it has to be a bad thing, just something I would like to know more about before using their products.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

**Bump**

Any experiences with this new yeast? How did it perform?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Yeah, I missed this thread the first time around. I'd be interested in hearing how that Belgian yeast worked out.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
Aa760
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The yeasts from him worked out really well. I used "the monk" in two batches, the belgian pale and a belgian blonde. He gave me a ton of yeast, so I split the batches to maximize the brew I got from the "gift." Both took off relatively quickly- I realize that can be variable, but I take it to mean that the yeast were healthy. I liked the belgian-y funk I got out of the yeasts, and they dropped both batches down to the 1.012 - 1.015 range. I also used his Pacific Northwest yeast- very clean and an aggressively fermenter, similar to pacman or San Diego super, and a lager yeast from him for a Munich-hellesbock. Success on all fronts, plus his vials, at 125 ml, seem like they have a high enough of a cell count to pitch directly sans starter in a 5-6 gallon batch of modest gravity. If you see his stuff on the shelf, give it a go. I would do the monk again for sure.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Just as an aside, I see that they've done some work with Modern Times Brewing on some souring cultures. Hope to see those (or something comparable) for sale soon!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply