Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New yeast!!! Pretty damn excited for this!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
bbrim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My starter did the same. I thought it would require a major blowoff hose during primary but it didn't seem quite as crazy. I'm drinking from my first batch of this yeast now. It is very clean and attenuates well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
EmeraldTab
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would love to give them a try, i just wonder how one goes about ordering?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldTab View Post
I would love to give them a try, i just wonder how one goes about ordering?
As far as i know, they are still only selling locally. I can't even get his yeast where I live. He actually mailed it all to me

On Deck: Night Train (Imperial Rye Cascadian Dark Ale), Festivus! (4th annual winter warmer), Radar Porter.
Primary: Rye Saison
Secondary: Oaked Rye Porter
Secondary: Xanadu Barleywine 2013

Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #24
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

Transfered my pumpkin porter to the keg and tasted. Went from 1.072 to 1.018, boom! I guess we'll see how it tastes soon.

Also racked my pale ale to secondary and dry hopped, didn't taste that one. Kegging it in 5 days...

I brewed a barley wine last night and poured it on top of the yeast cake from my pale ale, went downstairs 3 hours later to make sure the temps were good and the sob had a 2 inch krausen on it already!! First time pitching onto a yeast cake. Can't wait to see how all these turn out, all though we'll all have to, I don't plan on getting into that barley wine till next September.

Still have 3 jars of yeast left...what to brew next?!?!?!? I have a winter ale I was going to use burton ale on, now I'm reconsidering. I don't want to get over loaded though. I have 30 gallons (6 different batches) going right now, and only so many kegs...I never thought too much beer would be a problem. Haha

On Deck: Night Train (Imperial Rye Cascadian Dark Ale), Festivus! (4th annual winter warmer), Radar Porter.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Very Nice!

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 09-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
I have a question. New company's selling yeast, do they use already issued yeast or do they develop new strains? Do they find a cache of yeast that are out of rotation and 'resurrect' them, like East Coast Yeast did with ballentines? I guess the bottom line is...Are they offering new/different styles of yeasts?
At one point, it was easy to start a new yeast company with clones of existing strains. However, that horse left the barn well over a decade ago. The only way that a startup yeast company is going to survive is by identifying and filling a niche that is too small for the major players.

Many of us have yeast strains in our banks that neither of the "Big Two" American yeast producers offer. In fact, every culture that I currently have in my bank is not available from either of the major American yeast producers.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #27
bmulari
Recipes 

Hey guys - looks like the conversation on this yeast trailed off? A coworker and I were able to get our hands on the American Ale II strain at a local home brew shop here in Omaha Nebraska. Planning to brew a barleywine this weekend. With what I've seen so far - pretty excited to give this a try!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
Omahawk
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulari View Post
A coworker and I were able to get our hands on the American Ale II strain at a local home brew shop here in Omaha Nebraska.
Which shop in Omaha is carrying it?

In Heaven there is no beer
That's why we drink it here
And when we're all gone from here
Our friends will be drinking all the beer.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

I ended up using this yeast for my pumpkin porter which turned out amazingly! I then used another one on my session smash, which in turn used that yeast cake for my barleywine. The session ale was wonderful! The hops (Simcoe) came through very well, and very clean.

I'm not sure what the alcohol tolerance is on the American Ale II, but I hit all my marks on the barleywine and ended up perfectly at 9.2%

I still have 2 jars of this yeast to use...I'm planning on ordering my black IPA and my hoppy cereal amber ingredients tomorrow that I will use the other 2 on. I'll update later

Old 11-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #30
bmulari
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahawk View Post
Which shop in Omaha is carrying it?

Cornhusker Beverage and Bridal is carrying the American Ale II yeast and I believe a British ale yeast. A couple bucks cheaper than the wyeast strains they carry, so we figured what the heck.

threw the yeast in a 5L starter Wednesday night, and the yeast took off over night; seems to be pretty active.

As our recipe stands, we're shooting for 7 gallons - anticipated SG is at 1.083, with intent on adding 24oz of cane sugar a few days into fermentation to give the yeast a little bit of time to get to work. If anyone's interested, we'll be happy to provide updates as we go!

Quick Reply