Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New Williams O2 regulator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default New Williams O2 regulator

I was wondering if anyone has inside information about this

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGE...P3476C106.aspx

If I understand this correctly, it is only for use with larger oxygen tanks and not the small benzomatic-type tanks? I'd love better flow control but am a bit worried about a costly upgrade to a new tank etc.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is the tank I use (although I buy it at the local hardware store, not Amazon).http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-Cy...+Fuel+Cylinder

Based on the information provided, it looks like the valve on the disposable tanks is CGA 601. The new regulator on Williams' site says the connector is a CGA 540. My guess would be that you need a permanent, refillable tank. I have not priced them but may ask the guy at the gas shop the next time I have my C02 tank tested.

I'd like to eventually go to something where I can actually measure the flow of O2. Currently, I use the older Williams rig that just fits to the disposable tank. I turn up the gas until I get what looks to be a moderate flow, then give it a 60 count (or until the beer starts to foam out of the Better Bottle if that happens first)

Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
I was wondering if anyone has inside information about this

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGE...P3476C106.aspx

If I understand this correctly, it is only for use with larger oxygen tanks and not the small benzomatic-type tanks? I'd love better flow control but am a bit worried about a costly upgrade to a new tank etc.

Thanks
Correct. For the small cylinders you will need this one http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGE...ATOR-P700.aspx.

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have the small Williams regulator, but would love to be able to regulate the flow for the sake of consistency. There really is no way to make the flow consistent with the the small regulator - which is what drew my attention to this new regulator they have

Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can control the flow on the smaller tanks with a flow meter. I got one off eBay for about $15.

image-2909397964.jpg

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

FlyDoctor Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
steveoc
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I bought the big oxygen system. Oxygen is much much cheaper with the 20 cf tank. Unfortunately it was not available without the tank as it is now. Most places swap bottles as they do not have the safety facilities to fill, so I had to swap out my new bottle for a used tank filled with 02. Refills are about $25. That's about the same amount of oxygen as 19 of the 1.4 ounce disposable cylinders. I don't know what the deposit would be where I trade my tanks. The regulator goes 4, 2, 1, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 & 1/32 as I recall.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoc View Post
I bought the big oxygen system. Oxygen is much much cheaper with the 20 cf tank. Unfortunately it was not available without the tank as it is now. Most places swap bottles as they do not have the safety facilities to fill, so I had to swap out my new bottle for a used tank filled with 02. Refills are about $25. That's about the same amount of oxygen as 19 of the 1.4 ounce disposable cylinders. I don't know what the deposit would be where I trade my tanks. The regulator goes 4, 2, 1, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 & 1/32 as I recall.
WOW! Oxygen must be in short supply in NY! I pay less than $10 ($8.70 as of yesterday) for a 20cf exchange.....

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I saw that same regulator in an email ad from Williams. Sort of looks like this one, except with a hose barb added. I might have to consider that, as I'm getting tired of plunking down $10 for a throwaway tank that only oxygenates a handful of batches.

They have brand new 20CF tanks for under $80 w/free shipping on Ebay.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscience View Post
You can control the flow on the smaller tanks with a flow meter. I got one off eBay for about $15.

Attachment 143212
This is the set up I need. IS there anything special about the meter - or did you need to retro it this somehow to make it work?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
steveoc
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
WOW! Oxygen must be in short supply in NY! I pay less than $10 ($8.70 as of yesterday) for a 20cf exchange.....
Probably because I live in the middle of nowhere. The Williams Brewing site says exchanges in their area run $30. Even CO2 runs about 2x the price I can get in Albany. Maybe I'll shop for a better price, but I suspect it may be a year or two before I need another refill. In any case, your post emphasizes what a poor deal the disposable tanks are.

Quick Reply