Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New Temperature controller (Brewbit)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
TechMiller
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhebner View Post
Hey guys, I am Nick with BrewBit. We are super excited to finally have the KickStarter campaign launched. Let me know if you guys have any questions, we would love to gain you as backers!
I put mine down, with the extra probe!

Primary Brown Ale

Secondary:

Bottled: Brown Ale, and Bananas Foster brown ale

Gone... Honey Chamomile Wheat Ver 3 (failed)

nhebner Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
nhebner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMiller View Post
I put mine down, with the extra probe!
Thanks TechMiller! You are awesome!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
rmullins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wasn't quick enough to get the Early Bird discount, but I still think its a very reasonably priced product relative to the market for the additional features it has. I only wish I could have it sooner as I am building a new fermentation fridge to increase my production and will need to get temp controls set up

Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #14
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I put my name down today. I forgot to add the extra temperature probe but I'll get that as an add on tomorrow. I really hope this reaches it's goal. I really like this better than both my Johnson and my eBay aquarium controller.

What is everyone waiting for? Sign up for yours too!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
will_rouse
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm putting my name down tomorrow! I'm planning on a new lager chamber and this would be great to keep track of things!

“I don't think I've drunk enough beer to understand that.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

nhebner Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
nhebner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullins View Post
Wasn't quick enough to get the Early Bird discount, but I still think its a very reasonably priced product relative to the market for the additional features it has. I only wish I could have it sooner as I am building a new fermentation fridge to increase my production and will need to get temp controls set up
Thanks for the pledge! We wish we could get these to you guys sooner too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofieros View Post
I put my name down today. I forgot to add the extra temperature probe but I'll get that as an add on tomorrow. I really hope this reaches it's goal. I really like this better than both my Johnson and my eBay aquarium controller.

What is everyone waiting for? Sign up for yours too!
Yeah, what he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_rouse View Post
I'm putting my name down tomorrow! I'm planning on a new lager chamber and this would be great to keep track of things!
Thanks, you are going to love it!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Nick,

I updated my pledge to get another probe.

This will be open source. I've never dealt with open source stuff so I wanted to ask a few questions. When will all the information be shared with customers? If I broke the case could I print a new one with a file on a 3d printer? Are the electronics sourced from something like ardrino? How would someone update the software? Is there a USB port? Will I need a device to interface it to my PC/Mac? Will Mac be supported?

I'm really excited about this kickstarter! I've got you guys at least one more pledge and I'm working on a few more. Thank you!

Tim

Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #18
nhebner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofieros View Post
Nick,

I updated my pledge to get another probe.

This will be open source. I've never dealt with open source stuff so I wanted to ask a few questions. When will all the information be shared with customers? If I broke the case could I print a new one with a file on a 3d printer? Are the electronics sourced from something like ardrino? How would someone update the software? Is there a USB port? Will I need a device to interface it to my PC/Mac? Will Mac be supported?

I'm really excited about this kickstarter! I've got you guys at least one more pledge and I'm working on a few more. Thank you!

Tim
Hey Tim,

Thanks for your support and help in getting the word out!

We are still tweaking the design based on feedback from the community and our work toward safety compliance, etc, so we are planning to release the sources after the campaign ends once we have the final design locked down.

The CAD files for the plastics will be included in the source release, so yes, you could absolutely use those files to print a new case if needed.

The electronics are all custom, not based on something like Arduino. We did this for two reasons: greater integration and lower cost. That said, the software development environment is fairly easy to use if you are used to something like Arduino.

We are planning to have two channels for software release. The main channel will be the "official" BrewBit channel. This will be based on the trunk of the main BrewBit source repository, and will be automatically distributed through the website. When new software is released, your unit will be notified, and it will ask you if you want to update. When you click yes, it will download the software from the website via WiFi and install it.

The other channel will be the community channel. Since it is open source, people will branch the main channel code and add features for their own application. We will not take part in the distribution of this software, it will be up to the app developers.

Software loading will normally be done over WiFi, but if you modify the software and really mess something up to the point where WiFi loading stops working, it can always be recovered by loading with a JTAG adapter.

Since most of the interface will be web based, the type of computer that you use will not matter. You will just use a web browser.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the support!

Nick

Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #19
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Thanks nick! That answers everything. I hope I got you a few more on board. I was showing the kickstarter to a few brewers last night. I really hope this is successful because I want it bad!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
twofieros
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Nick, thanks for posting more videos for the model T. This thing is going to change brewing forever. All while changing everything else you can do with it. Wow!

Here are the videos for everyone else:

Dual probe uses

Using it to control humidity and temperature:

Quick Reply