Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New Danstar Belle Saison Dry Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #41
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm only reporting unsubstantiated rumors, but I heard at LHBS that T-58 and Belle Saison are progeny of the same strain, reported to be the strain from Saison DuPonte.

Again, not evidence, but repeated rumors from a very smart guy who works at LHBS.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by Dr. Francois; 01-30-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Grammars

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #42
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
Not at all....

5.5 gal
1.040-1.043OG
85% effic (my efficiency is through the roof on low gravity beers, so keep % the same but adjust for your system. Also, I brew for 5.5 post boil.)
FG 1.003 (wasn't looking for this, but oh well)

4.5lb Belgian Pils
2.75 Vienna
12 oz Torrified wheat
Mash @ 150
60 min boil

.25 oz zythos @ 60"
.5 oz zythos @ 10"
2 oz zythos at 2"

I'd ferment warmer but still pitch cool (63-65) and probably let it free rise to 72 and either hold there or let it free rise completely with no temp control -> all depends on how much yeast derived character you want. The zythos, believe it or not plays. That hop to me, comes off with a lemon line sprite like character and then drops off into an herbal note. Another poster on here, bierhaus15 recommended I try zythos in a hoppy saison and the way this beer is tasting right now, I think he was right.
Nice and thanks.

Imma going to give this a try. I wonder how well it would work if I cooled to 62, pitched, gave it 48 hours at 60 ambient and then moved into my office where it's 72-75 most of the time?

Also, I've never used Zythos hops, they do sound good tho.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

^^^ if it were my batch I'd do one of the following based on your ferment temp options:

1. More yeast derived flavors - I'd pitch at 62-63 and put it in your 60 ambient spot for 24 hours then move to your office where it's 72 and let it rip

2. Less funk - pitch at 62 and keep it in your 60 ambient spot, but even then the thermal activity of fermentation will bump the temp north of 60f. Most say 5-8 degrees warmer, so you'd likely at some point in the ferment hit 70-75 anyway.

Either way I bet you'd get great results. I'd pick option 1 as my beer is pretty clean. Also, although the Zythos are great in this recipe, if you'd prefer to keep it traditional, then you could certainly go with the typical Goldings (EKG or styrian) or Saaz. I'm trying to kill off a lb. of Zythos, so for me it was worth the try.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #44
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Duckman, I think I'll give option #1 a try first. I really like the saisons that have that yeasty orange taste, I think you have to get into the 80's to get that.

I'm still thinking about hops the French hop sounds nice along with some styrians. We'll see.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #45
atonofhops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atonofhops View Post
If I may interject.....I have been a long time user of Danstar I have used all of their yeasts(execpt the lager) I have used them with and with out making starters and never used more than 1 pack in any brew even my moneter 14% Imperial Milk Stout. I see no reason to buy 2 packs of this yeast I just purchased 3 packs of the saison yeast for evaluation. I have done the same for all of the danstar yeasts. I will make 3 5 gallon beers(same grain bill or extract) I will pitch dry yeast in one the rehydrated yeast in the next and last I will make a starter. I keep notes on fermentation progression. With the others time seems to be the only factor the starters worked to fg much faster. There has been only a minor diffrence in flavors and aromas between all 3 methods. I beleive the diffrences would not be noticible to the average person. I will proceed with my evaluations asap and report back when done.
All 3 batches are done bottled and carbonated.
I used only one package each for 2 batches and the third got a good healthy starter. The 2 batches started and finished at the same time about 5 days I let it go to 10 days then placed in a secondary. The starter batch had airlock activity in about an hour and the batch was done in 2 days. The starter batch finished at 1.002 the other batches finished at 1.004 all batches had an og of 1.054. The flavor from the starter batch is slightly higher in spicey and estery flavors, to me but 3 of my friends could not tell the diffrence in any of them. I like this yeast and will be using it as a replacement for liquid yeast for my belgian brews.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #46
sathrovarr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

so what temperature is the best for this yeast?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
atonofhops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMO I think 70* is just fine some folks I have read let the beer heat up and get more activity at around 80*

Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #48
nshalev
Recipes 

Default can you comment about the rumors of this being the same as T58?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atonofhops View Post
IMO I think 70* is just fine some folks I have read let the beer heat up and get more activity at around 80*
can you comment about the rumors of this being the same as T58?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #49
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I have used t-58 and it hasn't attenuated that high for me (which is fine--I mashed accordingly). My friend used Belle in an extract Belgian IPA (with some simple sugar) and it dropped down to 1.002. I don't think T-58 would do that, but I have very limited experience.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #50
Spartangreen
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So in the end, was 1 pack of the yeast fine?
I used this yeast to brew a Belgian Pale Ale yesterday, and I got to reading today that 2 packets are needed (per the packet). OG=1.052

Quick Reply