Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New Danstar Belle Saison Dry Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #31
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
are you of the opinion that wheat in the grist affects banana flavors?

it's my understanding that banana comes from the yeast. the reason why wheat beers often have banana flavors is because of the hefeweizen yeast produces banana esters, not because of the wheat. you could brew a 100% barley beer using hefe yeast and still get bananas.
It's a combination of the yeast and the mash schedule. A ferulic rest (if I recall correctly) can increase taster perception of banana flavors. Not saying that's what's going on here, just an example of how mash temp plays into this.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #32
samwhois
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think that wheat malt can create some awfully interesting flavors with any yeast. Especially at warmer temps. I certainly understand that the hefe-yeast is the main contributor to this flavor but a high percentage of wheat gives any brew a bready and perhaps some banana flavor. Especially at high fermentation temps.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #33
samwhois
Recipes 

I think that a yeasty sample with this particular yeast strain could be perceived as having some banana esters.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
samwhois
Recipes 

I just think that a yeasty sample with this particular yeast strain could be perceived as having some banana like esters

Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #35
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
I pitched one rehydrated pack into 63F (5.5 gal @ 1.045) wort and set the fridge to allow the beer to free rise to 67F at which I'll likely hold it there for 36 hours and then let it free rise to whenever it wants.

I saw activity this morning roughly 17 hours after pitching.
Finally tasted mine after a couple days in keg after force carbing, and even after finishing at 1.003, this is great stuff and goes down like nothing. My experience with Saisons is limited but I'd say mine with this yeast is too clean and would have benefited greatly from an increase in temp early in the ferment, BUT as it stands now ester wise (closer to wyeast 3787) it's still an awesome drinking beer that I will gladly rebrew with this yeast again. All in all, very happy with the dry saison yeast.

It's got me wondering what it would be like in your typical Belgian ales like dubbels, tripel or quad if the temp was kept restrained. Bet it'd be worth trying.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #36
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Finally tasted mine after a couple days in keg after force carbing, and even after finishing at 1.003, this is great stuff and goes down like nothing. My experience with Saisons is limited but I'd say mine with this yeast is too clean and would have benefited greatly from an increase in temp early in the ferment, BUT as it stands now ester wise (closer to wyeast 3787) it's still an awesome drinking beer that I will gladly rebrew with this yeast again. All in all, very happy with the dry saison yeast.

It's got me wondering what it would be like in your typical Belgian ales like dubbels, tripel or quad if the temp was kept restrained. Bet it'd be worth trying.
Very cool. Do you mind posting your recipe?

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #37
duckmanco
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Very cool. Do you mind posting your recipe?

Rick
Not at all....

5.5 gal
1.040-1.043OG
85% effic (my efficiency is through the roof on low gravity beers, so keep % the same but adjust for your system. Also, I brew for 5.5 post boil.)
FG 1.003 (wasn't looking for this, but oh well)

4.5lb Belgian Pils
2.75 Vienna
12 oz Torrified wheat
Mash @ 150
60 min boil

.25 oz zythos @ 60"
.5 oz zythos @ 10"
2 oz zythos at 2"

I'd ferment warmer but still pitch cool (63-65) and probably let it free rise to 72 and either hold there or let it free rise completely with no temp control -> all depends on how much yeast derived character you want. The zythos, believe it or not plays. That hop to me, comes off with a lemon line sprite like character and then drops off into an herbal note. Another poster on here, bierhaus15 recommended I try zythos in a hoppy saison and the way this beer is tasting right now, I think he was right.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #38
El_Cabrito
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
My experience with Saisons is limited but I'd say mine with this yeast is too clean and would have benefited greatly from an increase in temp early in the ferment...
what roughly was your temp schedule? i am looking to use this soon (i hope) and i usually let the temps take off for saison (high 70s °F to 80s) early rather than later.

Shaughn
Member has no tagline.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #39
duckmanco
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Cabrito View Post
what roughly was your temp schedule? i am looking to use this soon (i hope) and i usually let the temps take off for saison (high 70s °F to 80s) early rather than later.
I pitched at 63F and set the fridge to allow the beer to free rise to 67f (probably should have let it go to 70-72f) and then at 30 hours in, and for arbitrary reasons I bumped the temp to allow the beer to ferment at 69f. After the 3rd day I pulled it from the fridge to let it free rise to wherever it wanted, which it probably didn't get north of 75f, and by then it was done anyway I'm sure. After a sh*tty day at work I sampled some more tonight and although its a little cleaner than it should be, it's still a nice drinking beer.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #40
El_Cabrito
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nice. i am heading to the LHBS in a few and plan to p/u a few packs. probably brew a rye saison tomorrow nite if all goes well. still debating belle saision or the olde standby wlp566.

Shaughn
Member has no tagline.

Quick Reply