The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New bad lot of Nottingham yeast ???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #341
RavenChief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedasleeve View Post
Again! I got some replacement Nottingham from the source after lengthy emails back & forth. This afternoon I used one of the replacement packages sent to me directly from Lallemand. Lot #1080472V.

Like the two I had problems with before the yeast, after hydration, sank to the bottom and did not cream and had a sulfur meat smell. Unlike there other times though did not pitch it (I am not a *total* fool!) instead I switched to S-04. Very disappointing since for this beer Nottingham (in its prime) would have been perfect but it was not worth the risk IMHO.

I now have the hydrated Nottingham and am wondering what to do with it! I may make a starter with it to see what happens - any suggestions? It still looks inert after 3 hours, no creaming just a yeast layer sitting at the bottom of some water.
I gotta ask, why are you torturing yourself with this crap yeast. Nottingham has not done anything (that I know of) to correct their quality control problems. You know this from first hand experince. Until they do something to fix their problem, I am not interested in risking a batch of my beer with their crap yeast...
P.S. Tonight I am making a starter with WLP007

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #342
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post
I'm just about done with my ESB batch brewed with this yeast, just 2 days after the first post on this thread. Did just fine. Had a slow start, just like the OP, whose "questionable" batch probably came out just fine.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/nott...g-lazy-190031/

Too much wankering going on here. Of course I will continue using Nottingham, if anything to piss off [Edit] Get your Notthingham from Brewmasterwharehouse.com if you insist on being a sissy, the latest batch I got from them is 07 2012. Brew On!
The latest lot (the one that started this thread was: 1080961099V exp 12.2011) There were also other lots that have reported problems. This lot was recently recalled.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #343
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

smata67, crash1292, I deleted your comments. How either of you thought that this was helpful brewing advice is beyond me.

Check yourselves.

Re-opening this thread but I reserve the right to pull the car over and leave people who can't be civil or follow the rules by the side of the road.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #344
bsteab0yz
Recipes 

Default My experience with 080961099V exp 12.2011

Got 2 packages at the homebrew store (luckily) on Monday night. Broke one open, rehydrated it and it really had no activity during rehydration. No slurry, no foam, still all pellets. This was after about 30-45 mins sitting in warm water. Pitched it Monday night and by Tuesday night nothing. I got to wondering so I got on here and sure enough people have been having issues. So, I got my other packet, followed the same procedures. This time, I had a slurry, had foam after 15-20 mins. Pitched it on Tuesday night and by Wednesday night I had bubbles.

Just thought I'd share.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #345
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteab0yz View Post
Got 2 packages at the homebrew store (luckily) on Monday night. Broke one open, rehydrated it and it really had no activity during rehydration. No slurry, no foam, still all pellets. This was after about 30-45 mins sitting in warm water. Pitched it Monday night and by Tuesday night nothing. I got to wondering so I got on here and sure enough people have been having issues. So, I got my other packet, followed the same procedures. This time, I had a slurry, had foam after 15-20 mins. Pitched it on Tuesday night and by Wednesday night I had bubbles.

Just thought I'd share.

Were both packs of yeast from the same lot?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #346
bsteab0yz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenChief View Post
Were both packs of yeast from the same lot?
Yes, same were the lot that this thread has been going on and on about. Not sure if it was the first pitch that finally kicked in or the 2nd pitch that kicked in 24 hours after pitching it. Hard to say, but the first yeast packet rehydration just didn't look right.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #347
mixedbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I hydrated and pitched lot # 1080961099V last night at 9:00. No foam when hydrating. It sunk to the bottom and there was a film of clear liquid floating on top of the mixture. I will update how long it takes for activity. I am not worried though. The Windsor I pitched a couple weeks ago did the same thing and took almost 48 hours to ferment visibly. In my past experience, slow starts lead to vigorous ferments. I think the cells are multiplying before they go to the buffet, because when they do, its fast and furious.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #348
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbrewer View Post
I hydrated and pitched lot # 1080961099V last night at 9:00. No foam when hydrating. It sunk to the bottom and there was a film of clear liquid floating on top of the mixture. I will update how long it takes for activity. I am not worried though. The Windsor I pitched a couple weeks ago did the same thing and took almost 48 hours to ferment visibly. In my past experience, slow starts lead to vigorous ferments. I think the cells are multiplying before they go to the buffet, because when they do, its fast and furious.
Good luck with that. Just in case you may want to have some alternative yeast ready and waiting to pitch in and save the day...

Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #349
mixedbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I will get some extra yeast today... (juuuuust in case).

Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #350
philw86
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just got a few packs from batch 10810472V...first pack rehydrated just fine...had water temp @ 95F. This is of course to fix the first pack I pitched two days ago that never took off...

From the 2-3 bad packets I've had so far that severely lag...I would say if it isn't thick and creamy after 20 minutes you've got a bad one. Nottingham is cheap enough where I just stock up on 5+...

Quick Reply