Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New bad lot of Nottingham yeast ???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #331
jfr1111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I caught myself thinking about using Notty again in a Barleywine. Glad I opened the thread to remind me not to mess with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #332
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
I caught myself thinking about using Notty again in a Barleywine. Glad I opened the thread to remind me not to mess with it.
I've had mine going for a week on two packs of hydrated Nottingham. Fast vigorous fermentation although I haven't bothered to check the FG yet. I'm looking forward to this one (some day).

Old 11-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #333
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

A few weeks ago I pitched Danstar Nottingham, expires some time in 2011, but I don't know lot number. Used it before and it was good, but this time after 36 hours... nothing, pitched a different yeast.

(wort was aerated, low-medium gravity, and good temperature)

Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #334
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 3 for 3........

Just tried 3rd pack of this lot number......Junk!
They floated on top of the cup for a few minutes, and then sank into the abyss. I should have taken a picture of it so people could see what it looks like. Of course it just looks like it does in the package only in water. The beer I made was just some left over 2 row and rice. (light beer experiment) All I could come up with for yeast was a package of Munich wheat beer yeast so I don't know what I'll have going on. fermenting @64 right now. It'll make beer, I just hope it is drinkable...

Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #335
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Again! I got some replacement Nottingham from the source after lengthy emails back & forth. This afternoon I used one of the replacement packages sent to me directly from Lallemand. Lot #1080472V.

Like the two I had problems with before the yeast, after hydration, sank to the bottom and did not cream and had a sulfur meat smell. Unlike there other times though did not pitch it (I am not a *total* fool!) instead I switched to S-04. Very disappointing since for this beer Nottingham (in its prime) would have been perfect but it was not worth the risk IMHO.

I now have the hydrated Nottingham and am wondering what to do with it! I may make a starter with it to see what happens - any suggestions? It still looks inert after 3 hours, no creaming just a yeast layer sitting at the bottom of some water.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #336
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedasleeve View Post
Again! I got some replacement Nottingham from the source after lengthy emails back & forth. This afternoon I used one of the replacement packages sent to me directly from Lallemand. Lot #1080472V.

Like the two I had problems with before the yeast, after hydration, sank to the bottom and did not cream and had a sulfur meat smell. Unlike there other times though did not pitch it (I am not a *total* fool!) instead I switched to S-04. Very disappointing since for this beer Nottingham (in its prime) would have been perfect but it was not worth the risk IMHO.

I now have the hydrated Nottingham and am wondering what to do with it! I may make a starter with it to see what happens - any suggestions? It still looks inert after 3 hours, no creaming just a yeast layer sitting at the bottom of some water.
Throw some honey or something for them to eat in there and see what happens. Even a tsp of table sugar would give you an idea if they are active.

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #337
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Well despite me getting a bad sachet just 3 weeks ago, I went ahead and gave Notty another try. I pitched 2 packs into my barleywine last night, and it was blowing off by breakfast time!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #338
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

I'm brewing on Friday so I'm making a starter with this. I'll toss it then if inactivity or nasty smell... In the mean time I'll feel smart and irritated. I have 10 packs of this lot#

Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #339
jaba
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedasleeve View Post
I'm brewing on Friday so I'm making a starter with this. I'll toss it then if inactivity or nasty smell... In the mean time I'll feel smart and irritated. I have 10 packs of this lot#
You shouldn't make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate it, and if you're really worried, put a pinch of sugar or malt extract in with your rehydration water to proof it.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #340
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaba View Post
You shouldn't make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate it, and if you're really worried, put a pinch of sugar or malt extract in with your rehydration water to proof it.
I know. I am attempting to make sure it is in fact a bum batch, so making a starter out of it will allow me to make a proper determination. It is already hydrated and exhibiting the same lack of behavior I've seen twice before.

Quick Reply