Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New bad lot of Nottingham yeast ???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #311
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Sorry about that. I have a brand new guy answering the phones and several new guys on the sales floor.

We had replacement yeast as quick as possible. I explained it to key people but I didn't want to alarm customers and employees.

Once there is a problem with any product, people will forever be looking for problems with that product.

Thanks for letting me know you had a problem with the yeast. Just drop an email to the store at info@austinhomebrew.com and we can refund the price you paid for the Nottingham.

Forrest
Thanks,
I wrote you guys an e-mail.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #312
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just used a pack of the so called bad batch. Activity within 12 hours, violent fermentation with blow off in 24 hours.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #313
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I posted a few pages back about getting a bad sachet from AustinHomebrewSupply.com, and having to re-pitch a S-05 4 days after the Nottingham had not taken off. With that said, my Thunderstruck is FREAKING AWESOME after only 4 days of S-05 doing its thing. Although it is early to tell, I don't think the Nottingham contributed any off flavors and the S-05 took the brew from 1.054 to 1.014 in 4 days.

Cheers,
J

Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #314
bdupree
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've had 4 or 5 bad packs of notty in the last 3 or 4 months. I just repitched after 4 days or so if no change in reading and haven't had any off flavors at all. As cheap as Notty is, i'm okay with getting a bad pack/lot every now and then. I'm going to continue using it. I can get 4 packs of notty for the price of wyeast or white labs. I'm sure there's still a lot of the recalled lot hanging around lhbs everywhere and they'll keep getting bad feedback, but they've addressed it and i'm sure they'll fix it. I know a lot of people got upset about everyone ragging notty but this is the place to talk about it. Anytime you get a bad pack of yeast someone should post it. I had 3 bad packs and didn't say a thing until someone else did.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #315
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Just used a pack of the so called bad batch. Activity within 12 hours, violent fermentation with blow off in 24 hours.
1.056 to .016 in 5 days.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #316
Hoppocrates
Recipes 

I brewed 2 brews (CDA and Surlyfest clone) with 2 different packets of the supposedly bad Nottie. Beers came out great. Fermentation was great.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #317
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

4 packs of Notty from "the lot of doom" and 4 quick fermentation starts along with normal fermentation times and results.

I still plan to buy and use their yeast.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #318
PorterIdontknowher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoRoad View Post
4 packs of Notty from "the lot of doom" and 4 quick fermentation starts along with normal fermentation times and results.

I still plan to buy and use their yeast.
Well aren't you special!

Sorry, but every cocky response of "mine worked out fine nah nah nah!" brings out painful mourning for my lost batch...

Old 10-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #319
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by porteridontknowher View Post
well aren't you special!

Sorry, but every cocky response of "mine worked out fine nah nah nah!" brings out painful mourning for my lost batch...
+1

Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #320
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1420 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I picked up 10 packs of Notty with this batch number a few months back and have had consistent results until this weekend. I did a 10g batch of 1.044 cream ale, split it into two fermenters, and pitched at the same time/temp.

One took off within 12 hrs as usual, and the other took almost 48 hrs to get started. Neither have risen to more than 1/2" krausen, which I know isn't a bad sign, but not normal from my experience with Notty.

I also used a pack of this on a pumpkin ale a couple of weeks ago. It didn't have a decent krausen either, but did get down to 1.006. I still need to transfer, spice, and condition before final results are in on this brew, but samples are tasting good.

The smaller krausen has been my only noticable change from previous experience. Before it was always a short lag time, very active, large krausen fermentation, and part of the reason why I picked up 10 packs. Now it is not as active, but seems to be attenuating lower than I was getting before. I've never gotten to 1.006, and have now on 3 brews in a row.

I typically use it on the cream ale I keep on tap, and haven't noticed any change in flavor. I'll see what happens with this batch. Seems like a good test.

Edit: After rethinking, all three of the batches that got down to 1.006 have been all grain batches (I was doing extracts before and getting to 1.010-1.012) so maybe this played a role in the lower attenuation?

Quick Reply