Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Never have explosive fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
gurrback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Never have explosive fermentation

I've made somewhere around a dozen batches now, give or take a few, and I've yet to get anywhere close to clogging up my airlock. I've never really had more than a few inches of krausen. I read so much about blow off tubes being essential but the one time I decided to use one (a high abv beer with a big starter) it turned out to be completely unnecessary.

I'm using a combination of glass carboys and buckets with at least 6-8 inches from the wort to the top of the carboy lip. I think my glass carboys are 6.5 gallons each and I brew 5 gallons. Is this more head space than most people have?

I'm not really complaining here - I've probably saved myself a lot of hassle - but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. What are some factors that contribute to particularly volatile fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

You're wondering if something is wrong because you haven't had an explosive fermentation?

There are many factors involved in fermentation vigor, not least of which include pitching rates, temperature, wort composition and yeast strain. If you stick with it for a while, you'll certainly get a messy fermentation at some point or another, but there's nothing to be worried about that you haven't so far.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
airving
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So a few questions for you (the factors):
How much krausen is 'a few inches'?
What temperatures do you ferment at?
Do you make starters?
Do you add yeast nutrient / energizer?
Do you aerate or use oxygen?
Do you sacrifice small animals to the beer gods?

On a recent batch (still in 6gal fermenter), I have about 3 inches from the wort to the shoulder of the BB, or something close to 6 from top of wort to lip of the vessel. Of course, it narrows very rapidly from the shoulder to the top, so there's not much useful volume there. With starter and yeast energizer, the airlock launched. Blowoff tubes for me from now on.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Fermentations that are too hot can lead to very active fermentations that may blow off. Some yeast strains are more active than others, so if you use one or two yeast primarily they just may be low foamers that don't create a very large kreausen.

However, each fermentation is unique, and while one may be extremely active and blow off, another might be quite the opposite.

If you haven't had a blow-ff yet, don't fret,all is well., Having said that, it is a good idea to hook up your blow off rig every time for the first few days, so when it does happen you have saved yourself a lot of trouble.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Cranny04
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle
If you haven't had a blow-ff yet, don't fret,all is well., Having said that, it is a good idea to hook up your blow off rig every time for the first few days, so when it does happen you have saved yourself a lot of trouble.
+1 to this..

I've brewed for a year or so.. OG's ranging from 1.095 to 1.040.. I had never had a blow off until my most recent porter (OG 1.056) it clogged my airlock and ended up exploding.. Air lock hit the ceiling..

Just consider yourself lucky... And always use a blow off tube

My Blog: Bros Beer

Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Each and every fermentation is different. You never really know what is going to happen. I have bigger brews (1.087) just chug along slowly and had one of the most violent ferments I have ever seen from a relatively low gravity (1.052) brew. It went crazy and blew off for a couple of days. All at proper ferment temps.

As a precaution I routinely hook up a blow off tube.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
You're wondering if something is wrong because you haven't had an explosive fermentation?

There are many factors involved in fermentation vigor, not least of which include pitching rates, temperature, wort composition and yeast strain. If you stick with it for a while, you'll certainly get a messy fermentation at some point or another, but there's nothing to be worried about that you haven't so far.
What is it about new brewers needing something to worry about? They're like my mother, they're not happy unless they're stressing out about something. Next thing you know is that they're going to be worried if they're not worried about something.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What is it about new brewers needing something to worry about? They're like my mother, they're not happy unless they're stressing out about something. Next thing you know is that they're going to be worried if they're not worried about something.
When you read about all the brewing disasters on HBT, i.e. beer painted ceilings, dumped batches, ruined equip, stuck fermentations, yadda yadda... I guess you just figure if you haven't had one of these, you're living on borrowed time.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

S04 was only yeast so far i needed a blowoff for.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Try a high gravity Belgian with 3787 and pitch onto a yeast cake from a Patersbier. Even plenty of Fermcap S couldn't hold that beast back. It's something I won't forget. Lesson learned on blow off tube for certain fermentations.

Primary #1: Ice Shanty Bock #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Quick Reply