Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Never ending fermentation? 11 days in primary and still bubbling once every 5 sec

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

The smells and tastes you are describing pretty much hit the nail on the head for what you should be tasting in two beers at these stages in production, but it is strange that they are so different.

1) I am assuming they were produced at the same time...why so different in OG? What other differences are there between them?

2) Which was the one that was continuing to bubble?

3) How much and what kind of yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1. Both beers produced on the same day it was a back to back beer session. On Batch one I missed the mash temp by 2 degrees and it dropped by maybe 2 degrees during the 60 min mash. Batch 2 I hit my mash temp at 154 it was odd it didn't drop but increased by one degree. I will admit the one mistake I made on batch 2 was I got busy and forgot to add the hops at flame out

2. Both batches were continuing to bubble even last night when I took the hydro sample they were still close to a rate of one per 5 seconds. Batch 1 was less vigorous and the bubble was smaller. Batch 2 the bubble was larger and more vigorous. Batch 2 is the one that has hit terminal gravity which I thought odd considering it was the more vigorous one.

3. For each batch I made a seperate starter using 2 cups of water, and one vial each of Pacific Ale WLP041 (liquid). My starter was made approximately 48 hours ahead of pitching. I aerated both by tipping fermenter on edge and swirling for several minutes.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
1. Both beers produced on the same day it was a back to back beer session. On Batch one I missed the mash temp by 2 degrees and it dropped by maybe 2 degrees during the 60 min mash. Batch 2 I hit my mash temp at 154 it was odd it didn't drop but increased by one degree. I will admit the one mistake I made on batch 2 was I got busy and forgot to add the hops at flame out
This makes me think that you've got uneven temperature patterns in your mash. When you pour your strike water in, stir like mad for a good three or four minutes. A couple of degrees is going to make or break your beer, but what you are describing makes me distrust your readings a bit. The presence or absence of hops shouldn't substantially affect your attenuation.

Quote:
2. Both batches were continuing to bubble even last night when I took the hydro sample they were still close to a rate of one per 5 seconds. Batch 1 was less vigorous and the bubble was smaller. Batch 2 the bubble was larger and more vigorous. Batch 2 is the one that has hit terminal gravity which I thought odd considering it was the more vigorous one.
This makes me think it was, in fact, just off-gassing. The "finished" beer will have more CO2 to vent. The $10,000 question now is whether batch 1 is actually finished or if it is still going. Another hydro reading in 24-48 hours will answer that.

Quote:
3. For each batch I made a seperate starter using 2 cups of water, and one vial each of Pacific Ale WLP041 (liquid). My starter was made approximately 48 hours ahead of pitching. I aerated both by tipping fermenter on edge and swirling for several minutes.
What gravity was the starter? 2 cups is a mighty, mighty tiny starter for a beer this big. At that innoculation rate, the growth charts tell me that you'll be getting only about 12% growth. You want more on the order of a 2L starter for 100% growth.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #24
JLW
Recipes 

My answers got embeded into your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post

This makes me think that you've got uneven temperature patterns in your mash. When you pour your strike water in, stir like mad for a good three or four minutes. A couple of degrees is going to make or break your beer, but what you are describing makes me distrust your readings a bit. The presence or absence of hops shouldn't substantially affect your attenuation.

Good tip. I actually added 1/2 the grain stirred in and then added the rest of the grain and stirred in. I probably didn't stir for 3 minutes. It was cold that day and I was worried about losing heat in the mash. My mash tun is a 10 gallon igloo water cooler with a SS false bottom.

This makes me think it was, in fact, just off-gassing. The "finished" beer will have more CO2 to vent. The $10,000 question now is whether batch 1 is actually finished or if it is still going. Another hydro reading in 24-48 hours will answer that.

I'll take another hydro reading tomorow night and report back. I'm hoping it still has some more fermentation to go since the FG is not nearly low enough.

What gravity was the starter? 2 cups is a mighty, mighty tiny starter for a beer this big. At that innoculation rate, the growth charts tell me that you'll be getting only about 12% growth. You want more on the order of a 2L starter for 100% growth.

I didn't hydro the starter. I see your point on the starte being too small. Unfortunately I was following the directions of the LHBS. I find myself brewing a lot of beers in this ABV range so it sounds like I need to make bigger starters.

This was my 5th AG batch.... so much to learn.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #25
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
I didn't hydro the starter. I see your point on the starte being too small. Unfortunately I was following the directions of the LHBS. I find myself brewing a lot of beers in this ABV range so it sounds like I need to make bigger starters.

This was my 5th AG batch.... so much to learn.
Always more to learn How much DME did you put in the starter? We can figure out the starter gravity from that.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #26
JLW
Recipes 

I cup for each starter.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #27
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
I cup for each starter.
That should be about 1.033...which sounds right. The next thing to figure out is if batch 1 is still fermenting. Once we've got another gravity reading on that, we can start strategerizing. Batch 2 has likely finished active fermentation, but should probably sit on the yeast for a few more weeks to clean up.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #28
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Thank you MalFet.

Look at how much more information can be exchanged and shared, and how much learning can go on when we don't just slam someone for mentioning that their airlock was bubbling. There are a lot of other threads that have ended with "Well, I guess I should just let it go another couple weeks and relax" rather than sharing the details and helping a new brewer refine their process.

Sorry to those who might find my approach offending, but I am trying to get more people to understand the process and what they can do to make the best beer instead of just "RDWHAHB." I would rather "RAHAKAB" (Relax And Have A Kick Ass Beer)

Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #29
JLW
Recipes 

I will take another reading tomorrow night which will been 48 hours.

Thanks for the time you've put into this answer. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #30
sagnew440
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sometimes you just have to let the yeast do it thing. I have done quite a few 8 gal batches split up between to 5 gal fermenters and sometime they ferment differently, and thats with the same wort and starter. They normally turn out the same in the end. But since your wort gravity is different for the two batches you'll probably be able to tell a difference between the two.

Quick Reply