Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Need S-23 advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Bmorebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Need S-23 advice

So I screwed up at the LHBS the other day picking up some supplies. I meant to get the Saflager 34/70 but instead got 2 packs of the S-23.

I've been looking here and there but can't find definitive advice on styles this will definitely work for - seems like a temperamental yeast that people haven't got a good grip on.

Does anyone have any experience with this yeast, and what type of beer would this work best in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
zgoda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tasted various lagers fermented by this yeast and definitely light lagers was better than dark ones and hoppy ones was better than malty ones - so i'd say German Pils and maybe Dortmunder.

One of my colleagues made fine Baltic Porter with this yeast, but this is very specific style.

Nobody expects Spanish infection!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I just got done using this style on a Czech pilsener. I had read that it was unbearably fruity. Just kegged the beer last night so I don't know 100% for sure but samples along the way have revealed nothing untoward about this strain. I fermented it on the warm side (close to 60) since I read that would improve results. I use mostly 34/70 but would not hesitate to use s-23 again (my LHBS carries s-23 but not 34/70 right now although I am trying to change that).

Northern Brewer recommends s-23 for their American Lager, Czech Pilsener, and Schwarzbier. If you've never done a Schwarz, give it a go! Fantastic dark lager. Racked mine last night for lagering after dry hopping and am really, really looking forward to this one being ready in a couple of months.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've never used it personally, but I've tasted some fantastic california commons brewed with it.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3710 Times on 2280 Posts
Likes Given: 3212

S-23 is fine. I don't get anything fruity from it. No odd esters, but there is a distinct perfumey aroma / flavor. Not really offensive, I like it.

Here's my write-up, a DRY vs LIQUID test on a pilsner using S-23. I don't use it any more because I prefer the W3/70. If I had the S-23 I wouldn't hesitate to use it for any lager.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/lag...2124-a-183454/

Old 05-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
S-23 is fine. I don't get anything fruity from it. No odd esters, but there is a distinct perfumey aroma / flavor. Not really offensive, I like it.

Here's my write-up, a DRY vs LIQUID test on a pilsner using S-23. I don't use it any more because I prefer the W3/70. If I had the S-23 I wouldn't hesitate to use it for any lager.

Nice experiment & write up--hadn't seen that before. I'm in the same boat; love the W-34/70 but would use the S-23 without hesitation. My Czech pil using the S-23 was kegged last night and I'll be starting a new pils batch with 34/70 this weekend (different recipe, but only very slightly).

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3710 Times on 2280 Posts
Likes Given: 3212

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Nice experiment & write up--hadn't seen that before. I'm in the same boat; love the W-34/70 but would use the S-23 without hesitation. My Czech pil using the S-23 was kegged last night and I'll be starting a new pils batch with 34/70 this weekend (different recipe, but only very slightly).
Do you say czech because you use saaz? I have always wondered why that term is used... it should be a g. pils.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Quote:
Do you say czech because you use saaz? I have always wondered why that term is used... it should be a g. pils.
Hmmm, had just picked up the habit of calling Bohemian pilseners Czech pilseners...probably a combination of a number of things (1) Bohemia is somewhat synonymous with the Czech Republic (2) one of my favourite beers is Czechvar pilsener (3) as you note the Saaz hops are Czech in origin.

I should start referring to the style properly as Bohemian pilsener! German pilseners are a distinct style (made one of those as well recently and really liked it)

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Those are two different but similar styles, normally the Bohemian is a little fuller and has higher IBUS. Also the bopils has less sulfate leading to a softer hop character.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style02.php

Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

Holy crap - I am amazed at your statement, and am glad you made it! Personally, I have tried S-23 twice and DESPISED it beyond words. It made my beer taste like a lollipop.

If you loved it that much, I must have had poorly stored s-23 methinks.... while encouraged by your statement, I am still scared to try it again no matter how fresh it is.....

Quick Reply