New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Need help with WL029 that is close to exipiration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
cbehr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Need help with WL029 that is close to exipiration

So I"m going to brew my first all grain BIAB recipe tomorrow. I went to mrmalty and YeastCalc to figure out what I need for my starter and due to the age of the yeast I'm getting crazy numbers. The Yeast's "best before date" is 7/3/12 so that means it was produced on 3/3/12 and has a viability of around 12%.

I"m brewing a 3G batch and yeastcalc is saying I need a 4L starter with 19oz and marmalty is saying I need 3 packets with a 1L starter. What do I do? BTW, I do not have a stir plate so I will be shaking it randomly throughout the day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Make the biggest starter you can and dump in the yeast. Shake it as much as you can. You won't be producing the optimum amount of yeast, but it's Sunday morning....what else you gonna do? It'll be fine.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Good deal, I did a 3.5L starter with 16oz DME. I don't mean to sound like a cheapo but it there a cheaper alternative than using DME for a starter? My grains & yeast were less than $20 then I spend $6 for a lb of DME for my starter. I've been washing my yeast so next rounds will be even cheaper yet

Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

First of all, you should be using a 10 to 1 ratio when making starters. so 100 grams for 1000 ml. Your gravity is too high, especially for stessed yeast.
If using old or stressed yeast, I reduce the gravity to around 1.030 and step it up once to get the yeast healthy again.
Also, the volume of started used, is important and bigger isn't always better. Take a look at How to Brew in JP's yeast tables. You'll see that after a certain amount, there are much smaller gains in cell count, so it'd be better to grow a low gravity starter with the maximum cell growth for 24 hour and then pitch that. Otherwise the yeast are going to start making beer instead of just reproducing.
Hope this makes sense.
Bull

Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Oh...for some reason I thought you were to match the OG of the starter to the beer.... hope it turns out ok!? Need to read a bit more about these starters!!

So I transfered to a larger container and added 2.5L more water to lower the OG I essentially made a 6L starter, I obvisously can't add this near 2G starter to my 3G batch, should I just go buy more grains to make a 5.5G batch or can I decant the liquid off and just transfer the yeast to my wort?

Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
barrooze
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 108

To make your DME stretch as far as it can, make a stirplate from stuff around the home. There are lots of threads on here. Just lookup "DIY stirplate". You get the biggest bang for your DME when you run a starter on a stirplate. Look at the required starter sizes using the various methods on Mr. Malty's Yeast Pitching Calculator. Good luck!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Germanic Pale Ale, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown Primary: Texas Brown Ale Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Something On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/04/20
Untappd: barrooze

Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
barrooze
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr
I obvisously can't add this near 2G starter to my 3G batch, should I just go buy more grains to make a 5.5G batch or can I decant the liquid off and just transfer the yeast to my wort?
If the starter is finished, You can put the starter in the fridge. The cool environment will make the yeast come out of solution and fall to the bottom. When the starter has fully separated, you can decant (pour) off the "spent wort", leaving some liquid left and all the yeast behind. When you're ready to pitch, swirl the remaining starter liquid so all the yeast gets mixed with the spent wort. This volume will be significantly smaller than your current volume. Pitch the starter into your fermenter and you're ready to ferment!
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Germanic Pale Ale, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown Primary: Texas Brown Ale Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Something On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/04/20
Untappd: barrooze

Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr View Post
Good deal, I did a 3.5L starter with 16oz DME. I don't mean to sound like a cheapo but it there a cheaper alternative than using DME for a starter? My grains & yeast were less than $20 then I spend $6 for a lb of DME for my starter. I've been washing my yeast so next rounds will be even cheaper yet
Unfortunately, you can't make a starter with plain sugar...the yeast will express different enzymes in the presence of simple sugars compared with a malt wort. One thing I've heard of people doing is actually making a highly fermentable (low mash temp) wort with just 2-row and then canning the wort to use for starters. 2-row is definitely cheaper than DME, but it takes a bit of work on the front end to save that money. Up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Personally, for smaller beers, I will occasionally just pitch two vials/smackpacks of yeast...the expense for me is worth it compared to the work of making a starter. I've also been exploring using dry yeast more, which makes it infinitely easier to achieve proper pitch rates with minimal work.
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 79

what kind of yeast is it?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak
what kind of yeast is it?
White Labs 029 kolsch yeast

Primary1: Pliny the Elder Clone
Secondary1: Blueberry Wheat
Secondary2: Cherry Wheat
Keg1: Blue moonish Clone
Keg2: EdWort's Kolsch
Keg3: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale Clone
Bottled: Pumkin Ale, DFH 60min, Choc Stout, Choc/Coffee Stout, Apricot Ale, Banna Foster Cream Ale, Christmas Ale.

Quick Reply