Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is My Yeast Cake Too Old?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
rich8932
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is My Yeast Cake Too Old?

I have been washing yeast according to recommendations from this site for months now and it's been great. I have buddies who will save their yeast cake for me to wash and save for future brews. My question is how long after the beer has been transferred off the cake is too long to still be useable? In this case my buddy has one that he transferred almost 4 weeks ago. Is it still useable?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

If it's been sealed up and refrigerated the whole time, I'd say maybe but I wouldn't do it myself. Definitely not ideal.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I wouldn't risk it.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
ACESFULL
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Hell you can always pitch it into a starter and see if it takes off. If it does then try some of the spent wort and see what it tastes like. You will run the risk of the yeast dying and such but its worth a shot. At least if its bad you know what to look for.

Quick Reply