Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > My wort isnt fermenting...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
burninmules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default My wort isnt fermenting...

I brewed on a Saturday night and realized that my wyeast pack had been smacked in the fridge. It never swelled up so, I left my wort in the bucket with an airlock on it until Monday (my LHBS is closed on Sunday) and pitched the yeast then. It has been close to 24 he's and I see no activity yet. What do I do now? I am a relative noob but, usually I see some bubbling by now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Wait another 24-48 hours.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
Wait another 24-48 hours.
This!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
burninmules
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. I will be patient.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Yup, give it a little time. Also, while you wait do a quick search for yeast starters. The liquid packs don't usually have enough yeast to really ferment a beer, even though they say they are pitchable. Its generally better to grow up a small batch (1-2L) of beer with your yeast, then pitch the yeast that grew up there. Its probably just that you underpitched a little so its going to take a little longer to get going.

Also, don't worry about the smack pack. All the little nutrient packet is is some wort and yeast nutrient. Breaking the packet just gives enough sugars for the yeast to convert some to CO2, swelling the pack. Its more a test of viability than actually doing anything helpful to your yeast. If the yeast was cold, they probably weren't active enough to ferment the little bit of wort, but were probably still viable. The other nice thing about starters is you can test the viability in there too and make sure they're going to work for you before pitching them.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
DregAddict
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Airlock activity is not always a good indicator of fermentation. The CO2 may be escaping somewhere else from your equipment, which is fine. The best way to know if you don't have any fermentation is to take gravity readings and see if you are getting any changes. If the gravity is not changing then no fermentation is taking place.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads