Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is my stir plate going too fast, please respond

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
latium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That looks too fast to me. I've been told that going too fast can damage the yeast cells. You really only need a small dimple on the surface.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is how it looks so far. 18 hours on stir plate, about 1.5 hrs in the fridge. I'm going to let it go another 1.5 hrs, decant it, add 1L of wort to it, then back on the stir plate for 24 hrs. Then in the fridge, and pull it out an hr before pitching. According to YeastCalc, I should have about 143 billion cells right now. What is the difference between K.Troester and J.Zainsheff as far as the stir plate setting goes?

yeast-004.jpg  

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You do what you want. I do 4 cups water in 1 cup DME in a 2l flkask, if you want a comparison point. If you think the stir plate is going too fast, drop the voltage down and the speed will reduce. I made a stir plate with a 12V computer fan and 2 hard drive magnets. The only wall wart I could find was a variable voltage model that went from 1.5V to 12V. I set it at the lowest speed that will turn the stir bar, 3V. The wort makes a little dimple. If I turn it up all the way, I can fill the flask and draw a full tornado all the way down to the bottom. Certainly exciting at parties but unnecessary IMHO. For me i believe your stir plate is moving too fast,

Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #24
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Here it is again. I let the first one go for 18 hrs, put it in the fridge for 3 hours, decanted it, and added another quart of starter to it. Here it is again on the slowest setting with. I just double checked, my plug is a 8V charger, hooked up to a 25 ohm rheostat that adjusts. I'll have to hunt around to see if I can find a 6V one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rpR9...ature=youtu.be

Go Spartans!!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #25
wbyrd01
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That looks fine to me. And again, once you start making bigger starters it will slow down even more.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #26
JohnP24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have only made one yeast starter up till now so it certainly does not make me an expert, which is why I read this thread. I also watched your YouTube video and laughed thinking how the poor yeast were crushed up against the side of the flask like the Rotor ride at the Circus. The stir bar spinning won't hurt them as much as the G Force and friction of rubbing against each other.

My goal is to use the knowledge from the article below to save some money. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/...-approach.html

I built my own yeast stir plate, but need to refine the speed a bit further as well since my 1 liter starter had a full vortex. Sounds like I just need a smaller charger or a different potentiometer or a bigger starter.

Need more kegs to make bigger beers and let them age longer as well.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Why do you keep quoting a rigid schedule of 18 hrs on the stir plate and 3 hrs cold crash? I let the starter go until the krausen drops back into the wort, then set it into the frige until the wort is clearish. Sometimes if the yeast is old it can take 2 days or more to get started. That's one of the reasons why we do starters. Also, yeast will take more or less time to flocculate depending on the strain. I find 24-48 hours more reasonable for flocculation.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

That number was stuck in my head who knows

I did 18+ hrs on the first step, did 3 - 4 hrs in the fridge, let it warm up again, decanted it. Added about 1 quart more of wort, then put that on the stir plate for about 24 - 26 hrs, then took it off on brew day, which was yesterday. Everytime I walked in the house, I just swirled it around by hand. Then when it was finally time, I just pitched the whole thing, and didn't decant it. The beer took off in 3 hrs or less. I checked it after about 3 hrs and it was already bubbling away.

This was my first time using my stir plate, my 2nd starter total. Next time, I will approach it a little different. I will start with a 1.5 or 2L starter and using mrmalty or yeastcalc first. I kind of did the reverse, just did a quick .5L starter, then looked at yeastcal, not sure why I did it that way I feel pretty confident this starter is going to be fine though.

Go Spartans!!

Quick Reply