Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is my stir plate going too fast, please respond

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
isleofman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

I had this same problem and I ended up getting moving from a 12V adapter to a 5V.

A watched pot never boils. An unwatched pot always boils over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm starting to wonder, if I should let this go over night, then put in another 1L of wort in tomorrow, and let it go again for 24 hours. My starting OG is going to be around 1070 for this American Ale. Mr Malty is saying 3.25 liter starter with only 1 vial on a stir plate.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Longer wont equal more yeast unless there are sugars for them to eat. What you can do is palce the starter in the fridge for 24 hours to let the yeast settle, pour off the spent wort, and replace with fresh 1.040 wort. Spin for another day, and it should have the numbers you need.

This is called 'step starters'; I think mr. malty can calc these, if not, yeastcalc.com does it quite well*.

*As a caveat, yeastcalc and mr. malty use pitching numbers based on using yeast from slurries (which is weaker and less fermentive than yeast grown aerobically in a culture). Generally, they are recommending 0.75 million/ml/degree plato (ales) to 1.5 million/ml/degree plato (for lagers). For stirplate-cultured yeast you can often get away with ~1/2 the number of yeast that these calculators recommend.

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mr malty is saying I need 294 billion cells. They are saying my smack pack(02/13/2013) been refridgerated the whole time, is 62% viability. So that is why they are saying such a big starter or more vials, whether that is needed or not, I don't know.

Maybe I should brew this on Saturday instead of tomorrow. Tomorrow late morning put this in the fridge. Friday morning, decant it, add 1L or wort, then put it back on the stir plate, and pitch it on Saturday.

Go Spartans!!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
wbyrd01
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The yeast will settle out pretty fast in that small starter. You would probably be able to get away with decanting within a few hours of placing it in the fridge. I like to let mine go on the stir plate for at least two days before pitching.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyrd01 View Post
The yeast will settle out pretty fast in that small starter. You would probably be able to get away with decanting within a few hours of placing it in the fridge. I like to let mine go on the stir plate for at least two days before pitching.
Ok, here's my plan then. Let this go until morning tomorrow, that will be about 18+ hrs. Place it in the fridge for 3 - 4 hrs. Decant it, add 1L of wort to it, put it back on the stir plate for 18 hrs, then put it back in the fridge. 1 or so hours before pitching it, pull it out and let it warm back up. Then when it's time decant it, swirl it around, and pitch it in.

I'll just move my brew day from tomorrow to Friday, no biggie.

Go Spartans!!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #17
wbyrd01
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm brewing on Saturday too, and today I'll get my starter going.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #18
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You can still brew tomorrow. Just pitch the yeast on Friday. No big deal there.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #19
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 1203

I remember a few weeks ago you started building this stir plate. I suggested to use an LM317 regulator to control the speed instead of a few hard-wired resistors.

Someone else offered the schematic:
"Here’s the schematic with the LM317 adjustable regulator. The capacitor is totally optional."
http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html

I'm surprised you haven't built the speed control yet. You're gonna need it depending on the amount of starter you're stirring.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #20
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
I remember a few weeks ago you started building this stir plate. I suggested to use an LM317 regulator to control the speed instead of a few hard-wired resistors.

Someone else offered the schematic:
"Here’s the schematic with the LM317 adjustable regulator. The capacitor is totally optional."
http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html

I'm surprised you haven't built the speed control yet. You're gonna need it depending on the amount of starter you're stirring.
I'm using a rheostat, which is adjustable with a knob. I just added a couple to drop it a little more. I doubt I'll ever make a 1/2L starter again, so I'll see how it goes tomorrow with more liquid.

Go Spartans!!

Quick Reply