Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > My Ranco controller will only go to 43F! Help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
jtejedor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Honestly bro I would use that fridge to server your beer and get yourself a chest freezer for lagering/fermentation. It would save you a lot of headache. Other than that sorry I don't know how you would wire it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #12
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, I'm in need of serious help now. I really screwed up my fridge. I messed around with the thermostat too much and now the compressor won't come on at all. I tried backing out the coarse adjustment screw (to make it colder) and nothing is working now. When the fridge is plugged in I can hear clicking noises coming from the thermostat.... I know that can't be good. Does anyone know of anything I can do at this point? Is there a way to disconnect the thermostat and still have the compressor come on when the fridge is plugged in? Help please!!!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I would start by tracking down a wiring diagram for the fridge- look up the model on line or look on the back- usually there is an envelope or something like that taped to the back. Not all stats are just a simple switch that can be jumped out, but some are. If you have two lines going to the stat, then that's likely the case, in which case, just cut, strip and wire nut the wires together and you will be bypassing the switch and the compressor should run because it thinks that the switch is always closed. do this with the fridge unplugged, of course.

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Find that envelope that spearko520 mentioned, take a pic, and post it here. Someone will help you. Here's a tip for the future. Don't mess with electronics if you don't know what you're doing. Not only can you get hurt, but you can ruin things People here are always glad to help. Just need to post wiring diagrams or at least model numbers of what you have.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 441

In most cases, the thermostat is just a fancy on/off switch with a circuit that is either open or closed. If you're using the Ranco you can bypass it. In mine there's a black, white and green wire. I connected the black and white together. Left the green (ground) alone.

But, seriously, like IrregularPulse said, if you're not sure of what you're doing, leave it to someone who is. I used a volt meter to be sure of what each wire did before messing with anything. It's not worth the damage, fire, death . . .

Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I talked to an appliance repair guy and he said the same thing you all are saying. I'll try wiring the leads together and see if that works. I've been doing all this with the power supply disconnected of course...

Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #17
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So it looks like that finally worked. I cut the leads going to the thermostat and just wired them together. The compressor now runs a lot longer and the fridge is down to 37 F and should fall a bit more in the coming days (100 degree heatwave is over). Oddly, the compressor still shuts off from time to time, but not for very long. Maybe it automatically shuts down if it gets too hot??? Anyway, I'm happy with the way it is now. I think I'll post my experience in that other thread referenced earlier, since nobody mentioned that you can't adjust the thermostat on these kind of refrigerators.

Cheers, and thanks again for all the help. This site rocks!!!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

there are thermal switches in compressors that reset automatically when they get to hot (like the ones in canister lights). Sometimes there are manual thermals with reset buttons or switches. Glad you are cold!

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Quick Reply