Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > My Porter/Brown ale tastes like bum liquor...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Downhillfromhere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My Porter/Brown ale tastes like bum liquor...

I brewed my 1st AG about 12 days back, it was suppose to be an Imperial Porter (appx 7-7.4%), but I forgot .5lbs of Chocolate Malt so it ended up as a Imperial Brown Ale!

After 12 days of fermentation and still the occasional bubble coming out of the airlock, I decided to just rack it over to 2ndary because I was getting suspicious of my yeasts. Racked it over, took a reading and a taste. Reading is 1.011-1.012, quite a bit lower than I really wanted with a Brown Ale and it literally tastes like I'm drinking fire. It's pretty bitter and it flat out stings my tongue. It has a harsh bum liquor type quality to it, like a $8 bottle of vodka.

Did I finish way to low for the style and it's just drier than it's suppose to be? Or is there something else going on here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
andrew300
Recipes 

What yeast did you use and at what fermentation temp?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My crystal ball says... post your recipe and process, please!

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 11-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
AndyHannas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've got a similiar situation going on with my Sarsaparilla Imperial Porter but I'm just blaming it on being warm (70 F) when I sample it and also being very young.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Downhillfromhere
Recipes 

2.75 Gallon Batch

6 1/3lbs Organic 2 Row
1lbs Munich 10L
.5 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt (which was omitted....)
.25lbs Special B
2oz Flaked Oats
1oz Black Patent Malt
and .25lbs Brown Sugar after I realized I forgot the Chocolate Malt to just mix something into it.

The Hops Schedule was
2/3 oz Tettnag (3.7AA) @1st Wort
1/2 oz Columbus/Tomahawk (14.6AA) @60min
1/2 oz Cascade (8.1AA) @10 min

Yeast Wyeast 1056

OG 1.074
FG Estimated 1.017
ABV 7.2%
SRM 20.5
IBU 58.8

Actual OG 1.072
Actual FG 1.012

Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
Downhillfromhere
Recipes 

Fermentation temps generally held between 64-70. Much better temp control than past batches and it was held at 68 with most fluctuations erroring cooler

Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Downhillfromhere
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHannas View Post
I've got a similiar situation going on with my Sarsaparilla Imperial Porter but I'm just blaming it on being warm (70 F) when I sample it and also being very young.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. That's why it's going to hang out in the secondary for a while. It's a fairly big beer

Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
JollyToper
Recipes 

Going from 1.072 to 1.012 is 83% ADF which is above the range Wyeast suggests for 1056 of 73-77%. i.e., It did ferment lower than one would expect for that yeast.

Your temperature range sounds fine. Was it in that range for the first two days also?

Did you use a $hit load of pure O2 by chance--like 3-5 minutes? A serious hot alcohol taste like spirits is usually from a hot fermentation or a serious OD on O2.

Only being 12 days wild yeast or bacteria couldn't have so quickly fermented the long chain dextrins.

The brown sugar is only 3% of your total grain bill so I don't think that is the problem. If it were a lot higher that could be a contributor.

What was your mash temp? Did you mash in the 140s? I wonder if you made a really fermentable wort?

That is my thought process. Maybe that will jog some ideas in what you might have done that you didn't think to mention. Hot alcohol doesn't usually mellow out much but give it time. You never know. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Or you could just wait until it is not GREEN anymore. You say that you brewed this less than 2 weeks ago. Did you really expect it to taste good already? If so, then use the search function for green beer.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
Downhillfromhere
Recipes 

It was definitely in range for the 1st 2 days, and I mashed at 155 which should have given me plenty of body out of this beer. No O2 additions either. Definitely did help jog the whole chain of events though! What I could come up with though is possibily my pH is out of whack. Overly bitter, harsh tannin taste, it usually goes along with a high pH. I adjusted the water based on the fact I was using quite a bit of dark malt and in forgetting half a pound of Chocolate Malt, the pH never adjusted out?

Either way, it's going to hang out in that secondary for a few weeks to see if it fixes itself.

Quick Reply