Is my Graff ruined? Sigghhhhh
I am going to post my recipe and exact steps that i took for my take on Graff. This is my third brew ever and first time without using a kit.
My alarm is that the yeast settled on the bottom of the carboy pretty quick...i will attach photograph...
1 lb. 2-row Continental Pale Malt
1 lb. Flaked Oatmeal
0.5 lb. Crystal 60L - American
1 lb. Breiss Traditional Dark DME
.5 oz. Wilamette 4.8%
Safbrew S-05 Ale Yeast
3 gal. Hick's Orchard Apple Cider
Actual OG: 1.060
1) 0:00 @ 6:50 pm - Toasted 1 lb. Oatmeal @ 300F
2) 0:25 @ 7:15pm - Raised temperature to 350F
3) 0:30 @ 7:20pm - Hydrated 1 sachet S-05 yeast w/ 100mL H20 @ 95F
4) 0:40 @ 7:30pm - Removed oats from oven, mixed with Pale and Crystal malts
5) 1:00 @ 7:50pm - Mash-in oats, pale and crystal malts @ 155F in 1 gal. H20
6) 1:55 @ 8:45pm - Stop mash, .5 gal. sparge @ 177F, raise temperature to boil
7) 2:00 @ 8:50pm - Add-in 1 lb. Breiss Traditional Dark DME
8) 2:10 @ 9:00pm - Boil occurs, Add-in .5 oz. Wilamette
9) 2:55 @ 9:45pm - Flame-out, add-in 1 cinnamon stick, begin wort chill
10) 3:00 @ 9:50pm - Remove cinnamon stick
11) 3:02 @ 9:52pm - Wort temperature @ 80F
12) 3:03 @ 9:53pm - Add 1 gal. cider, 1 gal. Wort, 2 gal. cider to 5 gal. carboy
13) 3:05 @ 9:55pm - Gravity reading of 1.060
14) 3:07 @ 9:57pm - Pitch yeast
Any ideas? Will this end up fermenting? The Cider is from a local orchard and is UV pasturized. About 4 gallons of liquid in a 5 gallon carboy.
Also do the seals need to be completely airtight for fermentation to occur? I feel like the cap on the carboy could be tighter.
I'm confused as to why you think there's a problem.
When did you start this, as far as the day goes?
Last night (1/31/13)
I thought there would be a problem because i used a whole sachet of yeast for 4 gallons of liquid...too much head space...no blowoff bubbles yet...yeast settled at the bottom quick...etc., Am i over reacting?
yea you need to relax and let the yeasties work...sometimes it can take up to 18 hours for them to fire off....S-05 should be fine...
Thank you everyone for calming my nerves. 1 week in and my ABV is about 5.5% so far.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 12:54 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.