Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > my first yeast starter. instructions confusing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
keystoner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default my first yeast starter. instructions confusing.

hey all,
i am about to make my first yeast starter. i ordered the 1000 ml flask from northern brewer and it just arrived. however, it says that the instructions are for making a starter using a wyeast activator pack but my ingredient kit came with safale us-05. can i still use it? also, when you pitch the yeast into the starter do you use all of the yeast? how long do you usually let the starter ferment?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystoner
hey all,
i am about to make my first yeast starter. i ordered the 1000 ml flask from northern brewer and it just arrived. however, it says that the instructions are for making a starter using a wyeast activator pack but my ingredient kit came with safale us-05. can i still use it? also, when you pitch the yeast into the starter do you use all of the yeast? how long do you usually let the starter ferment?
No need for a starter with dry yeast.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystoner View Post
hey all,
You normally only want to make a starter for liquid yeast. The reason is that quality dry yeast (like S05) are packaged so that there are enough cells to ferment almost any 5 gallon batch, plus they have certain reserves due to the way they are packaged. The manufacturer does suggest rehydrating, though.

Here's a blurb from Jamil Zainasheff on dry yeast and starters: "Another case where you generally don't want to make a starter is with dry yeast. It is usually cheaper and easier to just buy more dry yeast than it would be to make a starter large enough for most dry yeast packs. Many experts suggest that placing dry yeasts in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into their product. For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water, do not make a starter."

For liquid yeast, you almost always want to do a starter.

Great info from mrmalty.com on starters here: http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php

Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can forgo using a starter with dry packets of yeast. You will want to use that starter kit for any White Labs or Wyeast yeast varieties though.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
keystoner
Recipes 

thanks guys! ill just save the starter for my next batch.

Quick Reply