Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > My First Lager - When to Start Diacetyl Rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
exe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Yooper. That makes sense and good advice for the next lager. On this one, the temp was down to 50 within only a few hours so hopefully the temp change was fast enough to avoid the side effects you mention.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #22
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it was at 50f within a few hours, then you are probably OK. Try to get it down to your exact temp if possible before pitching, but a lot of later brewers pitch warm and get the temp down within a short time. I do No Chill for all my lagers, which has the advantage of being able to get he wort down to the exact temp I need before pitching.

And yeah, despite reading about 3 week primaries, all my lagers (six maybe) have finished primary fermentation within normal time ranges for ales. I was pretty surprised by this, but I think its just a sign of proper pitching rates and good fermentability. And I ferment in a fridge at exactly 52F.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #23
exe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My lager has been in diacetyl rest for 3 days now, with the gravity moving from 1.010 at the start to 1.005 currently. Tonight I took a sample and ran a diacetyl test as described in "yeast." I'm no diacetyl connessuier but I do detect an off aroma and taste that is slightly sweet and upfront, which I suppose could be described as buttery. I would have thought the diacetyl would have been cleaned up by now, so my question is this: is there any risk of extending the diacetyl rest past 2 or 3 days?

On another note, I'm also concerned about DMS as I may not have boiled my pilsner malt long enough. Could this be confused with diacetyl?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Overpanic
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just a quick look at the HBT wiki on lagering yielded some interesting charts:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...menting_Lagers

These are all graphs of different lager fermentation schedules, and the effect that different temperature regimens have on diacetyl concentration.

Although the article seems to suggest that the (C) and (D) regimens are better suited for homebrewers, from what I've come across in the forums, the majority of people are using a diacetyl rest, illustrated in (F).

It's interesting to note that all 6 of these regimens appear to result in reduction of diacetyl to about the same level. It's also worth noting that in the examples where temperature is increased briefly (as in a diacetyl rest), once the diacetyl has been sufficiently reduced, there is no need for a gradual cooling of temperature - you can "crash cool" to lagering temperatures without having to worry about shocking the yeast, since they've already done their job.

A number of people have touched on these points, but for me, it was nice to see in a graphical format.

Quick Reply