Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > My First Lager - When to Start Diacetyl Rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Yes Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #12
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks BB

Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #13
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default Primary to Diacetyl rest time period

A question;
My work schedule is two weeks away two weeks home. Curious.... everyone talks of the primary ferment being somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 days give or take possibly depending on the gravity reading.
Best case scenario my Lager (when I start doing them) will be sitting in the primary for a minimum of 14 days before I can start raising the temp for the diacetyl rest.
Any thoughts on what will be the down side to having the gravity of the beer being lower than it possibly should be before I start the diacetyl rest? Am I going to make some sort of skunk?
Perhaps I should train my wife on the temp control of the freezer?
Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks

Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
tangofoxtrot308
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Doing my first lager now and have conflicting info. Fermed mine for 10 days krausen dropped did a 4 day D rest. When I racked it took a gravity reading it had reached FG but had a butter flavor? I'm now leaving the racked beer at room temp for a week to try a cure the remaining "D". Since it's off the yeast worried about my results. I've seen no activity!

"Ora et labora" (Pray and Labor)

Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4282 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofoxtrot308 View Post
Doing my first lager now and have conflicting info. Fermed mine for 10 days krausen dropped did a 4 day D rest. When I racked it took a gravity reading it had reached FG but had a butter flavor? I'm now leaving the racked beer at room temp for a week to try a cure the remaining "D". Since it's off the yeast worried about my results. I've seen no activity!
It'll have a hard time cleaning up the diacetyl after racking, but it's worth a try! It'll get worse, not better, with lagering so you want to get rid of it now!

Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #16
exe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread seems like the right place for my question. I brewed my first lager a week ago, pitched a crapload of yeast and the beer has been fermenting at 50F for a week now. I took my first sample this evening and the gravity is already down to 1.011 ... I think I should be happy but I'm worried I missed the opportunity for a proper diacytel rest. My plan is to raise the temp up to 65F or so for the next two days and then slowly cool back to about 38F or so. Does that seem like a good plan to those of you with lager experience?

Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #17
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

Just raise temperature it might not be too late. Leave there until no diacetyl in sample.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #18
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, depending on other factors you might not even have it to begin with. Taste it now and raise to 65f ASAP. If you have diacytl after the rest, get a starter going with any kind of yeast you have on hand, and pitch that into the beer when the new starter is at big krausen.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
exe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I have the temp now at 65, and I actually have a starter going with harvested pacman that I was going to use for another brew, but could be re-purposed if needed.

On another note, I wasn't expecting to have such high attenuation so quickly given the lower temperature. Is this common? I pitched a big, healthy starter that correlated to Mr. Malty's calculator, but unfortunately I didn't cool the wort to fermentation temps before pitching. Does this cause the fermentation to accelerate?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4282 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by exe View Post
Thanks for the replies! I have the temp now at 65, and I actually have a starter going with harvested pacman that I was going to use for another brew, but could be re-purposed if needed.

On another note, I wasn't expecting to have such high attenuation so quickly given the lower temperature. Is this common? I pitched a big, healthy starter that correlated to Mr. Malty's calculator, but unfortunately I didn't cool the wort to fermentation temps before pitching. Does this cause the fermentation to accelerate?
Absolutely. Just like pitching an ale at 90 degrees (twenty degrees too warm), pitching a lager at 70 degrees will make the yeast work harder and faster. Combined with a big starter, much of the fermentation would be over before the beer even gets to 50 degrees as it takes a lot longer for 5 gallons of fermenting beer to cool.

Make sure you do the diacetyl rest and hope that you don't have many side effects (like esters) from pitching too warm. Next lager, make sure you have temperature control at the beginning so this doesn't happen again.

Quick Reply