Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > My experience with slurry, no starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
felixsth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My experience with slurry, no starter

I just want to know if my procedure is normal. I harvest slurry from the fermenter maybe since my last 10 batches, I did with some US-05, S-04, S-33 and T-58. I normaly harvest 1 mason jar when I transfer to secondary and put that in the beer fridge. When it's time to brew I just put some of the beer out and shake the hell out of it when it's time to pitch. I pitch more or less depending on the OG.
For expemple if I want to brew a beer with high OG and have no slurry available for that strain I just make a small beer with the dry yeast direct in the wort and use that beer's slurry to make the stronger one. I once used one jar of 2 months old slurry and had a pretty healty fermentation with a short lag time, about 6 hours as always when I use slurry.

My question is why should I make a starter if everything works well like that and I dont have to make 2+ Liters Starter for my high OG beers. Am I alone not making a starter and not washing yeast? And I have to say I always hit my FG and no off tastes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont make starters if yeast slurry is less than month old. For lagers I found its best to draw some wort from fermentor (0.5-1 gal) and make starter out of that at recommended fermenting temperature, then pitch the whole thing at high krausen 12-24 hours later. If you already have enough yeast, its fresh and you don't need to build up colony from smack pack no starter required

Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixsth View Post
My question is why should I make a starter if everything works well
I guess this pretty much sums up my stance. If it isn't broke don't fix it. If it works for you then don't change it.

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
felixsth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I think I'm gonna stick with my way of doing it. I have everything needed to make a starter so I will try one day, maybe harvest from a bottle or something like that.

Quick Reply