Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > My dry yeast was "wet" inside the package - and now won't ferment.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
shortyjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default My dry yeast was "wet" inside the package - and now won't ferment.

I made a 10 gal batch of my Ed's Haus Pale. I used Notty, one sachet per 5 gal carboy.

One of the sachets of Notty felt "damp" when I played with it BEFORE opening it. Kind of squishy and not shakey, like there was moisture inside it. When I cut it open, the yeast seemed to be sticking to the walls of the sachet, kind of like it was highly statically charged. I've had this happen once before, but I got beer out of it in the end, so I pitched.

After 48 hours, here are the two carboys. The one with NO krausen, and no visual signs of fermentation, is the "wet yeast" carboy.

Anyone ever have this happen? I'm gonna wait a day to see if fermentation kicks off....but it's weird, eh?

Note, both yeasts were new, both bought the same day, same lot, same expiration date, and both definitely NOT from "old stock" that could have been part of the recall batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 AM   #2
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

It sounds as though it may have been damaged in handling before you got it. I would repitch with something else asap.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I agree.

Usually I'd say wait but it seems to me the risk of losing your batch is greater than the downsides of pitching again.

"Traffic. If only it were as light as your beer" - Miller MGD 64 truck. A thought I have every day while driving in heavy traffic, downing light beers.

Search Recipes by Ingredients | Check out my brewing recipes!

Primary: Lagunitas IPA Clone
Kegged: German Pilsner, Clydesdale (Spotted Cow Clone)

Old 11-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3622 Times on 2232 Posts
Likes Given: 3127

Ditto. Pitch now.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks guys....I was planning on swinging by the store on the way home tomorrow and grabbing a pack of Notty, then pitching if nothing was happening by tomorrow evening...That's definitely in the plan now.

But has anyone else had "sticky yeast"? This is the second time I've gotten it....I liken it to the difference between fluffy rice and sticky sushi rice....

Old 11-04-2009, 04:54 AM   #6
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I had a similar experience. I made 10G of wort to two 5 G buckets, and inoculated one with Notty, and one with S-05. The S-05 took off like normal, and the Notty never did. Ended up with an infection in that bucket, and a sour mess I had to dump. Turned out my Notty was from the recalled lot (Lot #1081140118V), but was sold to me by my LBHS anyway. Don't remember it being damp though.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

If dry yeast packets leak, the yeast will pull moisture out of the air. Just enough to die.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply