My blowoff had a blow out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
Wort aerated with 100% oxygen and a 1200ml active starter from a stirplate equals some mean ass fermentation!

....just wanted to share

image-2055480426.jpg

Longshot, but is that by chance Edwort's Robust Porter. In a few years of brewing that is usually, for reasons I cannot fathom, always an insanely violent fermentation.
End result never disappoints though.

Good guess on the porter! Not Edwort's recipe though, something I came up with.

My garage is about 55 degrees right now and this thing has been out there since Sunday afternoon and is reading about 66-68 on the thermometer strip!

I had a similar reaction this weekend, and it was with Edwort's Robust Porter.

I just looked at his recipe and ours is fairly similar.

Mine was
10# 2row
1# chocolate
1/2# Munich
1/2# crystal 80

Mashed at same temp (150)

1oz N brewer
1oz Golding

1200ml starter wyeast 1272 American ale 2

At least you were smart enough to forsee the need to use the blow off. When I made my stout I used an airlock and boy what a mess. All over the ceiling, firances car and garage floor. Took a while to clean everything up. Needless to say, now I use blow off regularly.

No kidding, usually a half gallon growler does the trick... But this one got unruly!

Another guy I know uses the 8 gallon brewcraft fermenters and says he never has a problem and uses the regular airlock.

Haha my set up is the same the hose going into part of a air lock and into a jug

Back