my beer is fermenting vigorously!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigler-bier

Reaction score
Hello my fellow beer friends!
I have made the change of using dry Safale yeast to Wyeast snap packs. I did not use a yeast starter which I plan on using next batch.
However, I followed the same recipe for my wheat beer that I have been making using dry yeast and this time with the Wyeast (Weihenstephan) it starts to bubble vigorously after about 24 hours...
I have a blow off tube and I've had to change the glass with the sanitized water 3 times already cause its overflowing and some of the yeast and wort is coming out of my glass fermenter. (through the blow off tube of course).
It also smells sour... not sure if its sour because of the mix of the wort and sanitizing liquid(StarSan).

Is my beer gone sour??

Is this normal when switching from dry to liquid yeast??

Keep on brewing and cheers!

:mug:

It usually takes longer than 24 hours for an infection to take hold. I'm sure it's just fermentation smells.

Sent from my kegerator

agree....probably not soured but welcome to the world of liquid yeast. Next time make a big started and watch the carboy have a party within a matter of hours !!!:rockin:

WY 3068 ferments hard. Very hard if you don't hold the wort temperature from running wild.

This. Last time I used it, it blew the lid off my fermenter and got krausen everywhere. You've really got to keep the temps in check.

And yeah, it's got a pretty strong yeasty smell when it gets going.

I've found dry yeast also takes off like a rocket, if you rehydrate it according to the manufacturer's instructions. I know there's a thread around here that says something like "Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show signs," but ever since I've started rehydrating my dry yeasts, I've had a nice, foamy krausen within 12 hours.

I've had aggressive fermentations whenever using hefeweizen strains (and that was how I learned why a blow-off tube is needed). Don't write off the batch just yet.

Do you need to use a yeast starter with the snap packs? isn't the point of those that they are also a starter?

No, unless you're pitching into a very low gravity beer, you'll want a starter. The smack pack is just some nutrients.

It's mad (for no reason). Tell it a story, tell it it's pretty, throw some chocolate at it, buy it flowers, then put midol in secondary.

None of this will work. You're still wrong. It will act like it's you're fault then drop the whole thing. You'll forget about it too then BAM!! 28 days later, you will brew again.

FloppyKnockers hahaha 🍻

Everyone else thanks.. I guess that's just the lady blows of her steam.

Next time for sure I'm a using me a starter and watching her go mad.

Brew on and stay strong!

Cheers!

unless you're pitching into a very low gravity beer, you'll want a starter.

Or, if time is more important than money, just pitch multiple packs. All that matters is that you hit the desired cell count of active, viable yeast. It doesn't matter whether you get there via making an appropriate size starter, or just pitching multiple packs. The outcome will be the same.

It's mad (for no reason). Tell it a story, tell it it's pretty, throw some chocolate at it, buy it flowers, then put midol in secondary.

None of this will work. You're still wrong. It will act like it's you're fault then drop the whole thing. You'll forget about it too then BAM!! 28 days later, you will brew again.

Thank you, FloppyKnockers! You brightened my day considerably! :D

Back